Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
connorPosted - 20 August 2003 1:24 PST
Hi everyone -

I was just wondering if anybody has ever written a document explaining exactly how bunny hops work (as in, quake physics) and precisely how best to do them. Perhaps simple practice is the key (I don't really play much...) but besides a couple of miraculous huge ones I can never do the long/fast leaps like the top players. Help me out! :)

StubbyPosted - 20 August 2003 2:11 PST
Ilkka Kurkela once recorded a demo showing how to bunny properly, it was sort of like a tutorial demo, I've lost the demo though, but maybe someone else still has it on their HD, anyone?

Maybe this can help you:

1. +forward
2. +forward; +moveleft; +turnleft;
3. +jump; -forward (after +jump); (-turnleft, but it not so important)
4. being in the air. (-jump) -aircontrol maneuvers
5. +forward; +moveleft (right); +turnleft(right); +jump: when the floor approaches;
6. arrive at the floor and jump again as you've pressed +jump in the step 5.
7. -jump; -forward
8. aircontrol
9. = 5.

- The Axe Basher -

mwhPosted - 20 August 2003 3:44 PST
> Ilkka Kurkela once recorded a demo showing
> how to bunny properly, it was sort of like a
> tutorial demo, I've lost the demo though, but
> maybe someone else still has it on their HD, > anyone?

It seems to have landed here:

http://starship.python.net/crew/mwh/bunny.dz

Watching it lots of times hasn't helped me much, though :-)

KenPosted - 20 August 2003 10:32 PST
Watching that demo sure helped me some. When I learned to bunny (assuming I actually KNOW), I watched that e1m6 demo... then watched it in HFR as well.. then tried it with HFR.. then tried it normally.. repeated the cycle a few times, and at some point I was doing it decently. :)
JozsefPosted - 20 August 2003 15:31 PST
I've never seen this tutorial before, I always just heard about it. I remember at the beginning I didn't know that you should release forward button during jumping to make the jumps properly, I only discovered that more than a year later :)
I can only suggest to watch all kind of player's demos and try to do the same. At least I learned that way. Did I learn it, though...? I can't judge myself
verorbebPosted - 21 August 2003 3:56 PST
don't worry josz your bunny's look like they are done scripted and in hfr :P
JozsefPosted - 22 August 2003 11:15 PST
ahh, thank god :)
KenPosted - 24 August 2003 11:29 PST
Joz: Thank who? According to Weixing, you ARE a god.
-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 24 August 2003 19:52 PST
ken: yeah i did say that, and i never hesitate or doubt on that.
verorbebPosted - 25 August 2003 3:21 PST
nonno he's not a god...that would be cheating!
RobertPosted - 25 August 2003 4:21 PST
*lol*
RipahPosted - 26 August 2003 19:17 PST
What worked for me in the beginning was pretending I was a snake =) At least when you speedjump straight forward. You do wavy motions with the mouse, like a wide U pattern.

Btw hi everyone!
You don't know me, but I played alot of NQ/QW a long time ago (played for about 4 years on scandinavian servers). Dusted off the game a while ago, when I ran across this site. I've seen some of the QDQ demos a while back, but I never knew this site existed.

I'm currently hard at work trying to beat Markus' time on E1m3 (from the Qdqwav demo), if that indeed still is the record. I think it's beatable, and the map is one of the funniest to speedrun, so we'll see. Right now my best run is 26:06, so I still have to shave roughly a second off the time. But I made a few mistakes towards the end, mostly cause I was hella nervous at that point.

Anyway, just saying hi. Cya around! =)

StubbyPosted - 27 August 2003 1:27 PST
"Right now my best run is 26:06, so I still have to shave roughly a second off the time"

Make that TWO seconds ;-) Markus' current time is 0:24, so you'd have to get 0:23 in order to get the record on SDA, and welcome to the msgboard btw, it's always nice to see new people here!

- The Axe Basher -

timPosted - 27 August 2003 1:30 PST
hi Ripah

Can you tell us a bit more about you? all the boring stuff like where you live, how old you are and what you do to pass the time between games of quake :)

MorfansPosted - 27 August 2003 1:33 PST
I don't wish to sound discouraging but Markus's record is 0:24. So you'll have to improve by just over 2 seconds to take the record. :-/

Even so, 26.06 is damned impressive.

MorfansPosted - 27 August 2003 1:48 PST
Oh, looks like Stubs already mentioned the time thing, that's what I get for clicking "reply" and not actually typing anything for 2 hours.

Nice to see that Tim's started stalking you already. You'll have to watch him, he'll be going through your bins next... :-)

Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2