Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
StubbyPosted - 12 August 2003 5:42 PST
Didn't know what to name the thread, but here goes: I've always wondered why people didn't speedrun the Hipnotic and Rogue maps more. I'm sure we can all agree that everyone regards the ID maps as the most prestigious ones. But personally I regard the official missions packs higher than custom levels and custom episodes, but nearly no-one runs Hipnotic and Rogue maps. Why? The Hipnotic maps are awesome for speedrunning, and the maps themselves are quite fun to run, so what's keeping people from running them?

- The Axe Basher -

lodisPosted - 12 August 2003 8:18 PST
Yeah the hipnotic maps are great for all kinds of running (runs and 100%s), I wish more people played it.
The only problem I have with it is the new guns...I quite like the old ones and I don't really want to learn to time proximity mines etc. I guess that might keep some people from it...but I think the biggest problem is that a lot of people just haven't got it!

And rogue just stinks. Bigger crap I haven't seen in ages. The maps are boring, the new guns suck, a lot of the new monsters are complete shite. All in all, wtf were they up to?
Some rogue maps are good though..one or two of them. not enough to make it worth your while anyway.

my 2 cents

-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 12 August 2003 8:56 PST
i m afraid soa is pretty hard for me. and yes, lodis, i also think doe sux, except a few of them.
JozsefPosted - 12 August 2003 12:25 PST
about hipnotic: I did my part
about rogue: jag håller med ;)

(...but i cant speak scandinavian)

StubbyPosted - 12 August 2003 12:42 PST
Heh, jag håller med too ;-)

- The Axe Basher -

MorfansPosted - 13 August 2003 1:37 PST
I don't know what that means, but forgetting DoE for a while since not many people really like it, just look at who has all (most) of the runs on SoA.

Ilkka, Joe, Peter, Alex, Amrik etc. Recorded when they were at the TOP of their game.

These demos are pretty awesome, most the result of many battles between great players. It needs, IMHO, Martins and Timos and suchlike to beat most of them.

mwhPosted - 13 August 2003 3:25 PST
> I've always wondered why people didn't
> speedrun the Hipnotic and Rogue maps more.

I do my bit :-)

Episode two of DoE is just horrible for running, though, unless you're some insane Kiwi.

StubbyPosted - 13 August 2003 4:01 PST
"jag håller med"

It means "I agree" in swedish. The danish variant would be "jeg er enig" or "jeg holder med" ;-)

I agree (hehe) with most people that most of the Rogue maps sucks for speedrunning, but still, it's an official mission pack, so they should be more prestigious in my opinion...

As for the Hipnotic maps, most of the records are so old by now that it doesn't take a Selinus or Nieminen to beat them imo, but that's just my 2 cents... Would be cool to see another QdQ run through Hip, but getting all secrets and kills this time....

- The Axe Basher -

JozsefPosted - 13 August 2003 15:24 PST
*sigh*

Why do I have the feeling that everybody's pointing to me =)
heh all right, probably this sounded a bit conceited, but Stubby you may know once I planned a SdSlite2 (maybe I mentioned to you...) which was _only_ an idea. A good idea it would be imho. But we need talented new runners who'd actually do the runs. Or just me =)

gahhhh =P ultraLOL
no, I'm not that interested any more.

StubbyPosted - 14 August 2003 0:49 PST
I know, it was just a wishful thought to be honest ;-)

- The Axe Basher -

MorfansPosted - 14 August 2003 1:39 PST
Any fucker pointing at Joe gets a smack in the chops. Okay? :-)

In fact, any fucker pointing at any other fucker gets a chopsing.

I hate pointing almost as much as I hate having syphilis.

And personally I don't see the need for another QdQ project that will never get finished. A "Scourging Armagon" (heehee) 100% would be nice to see but the sheer effort involved would make it a non-starter, or a non-finisher anyway. And thus would just promote further player burnout. :-)

Ummmm. None of this was what I intended to write when I clicked "reply". Can't remember what I was going to say now. :-/

Anyone fancy doing "Rogue Run Rather Rapidly"? Or "Zerstormer"? Or "See-Zed-Gee-Whizzed"? Or "The Phantasmal Garri-Zoom"? Or "Run Out Of Ideas"? :-)

Oh yeah, Id Best. Hip second best. Everything else is just other levels. All ranking systems are just wanking systems (see Weixings thread...) Just my two shillings and fourpence (in old money).

lodisPosted - 14 August 2003 3:57 PST
/me points at Morfans
StubbyPosted - 14 August 2003 4:09 PST
Just an idea: would it work if we made a new project through Hipnotic open for everyone? Meaning that everyone could participate, make demos, recam, come up with ideas for routes etc etc.

As I said, it's just an idea, so don't get all too excited, ok...

- The Axe Basher -

MorfansPosted - 14 August 2003 5:33 PST
/me smacks Lodis in the chops, the pointing fucker.
-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 14 August 2003 9:39 PST
stubbz: i suggest you to finish the ep1 gibbed project first. =P
StubbyPosted - 14 August 2003 13:56 PST
Huh?! I've never been involved in that project, well not officially anyways, it's Morfans who's doing it.... so you should pick on him, not me ;-)

- The Axe Basher -

Topic is 3 Pages Long:    1 2 3