Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 30 July 2003 20:40 PST
disclaimer: this post is total personal nonsensing and is not meant to offense or annoy anyone, it just describes my impression on runners skills. different opinions are welcome but just on player skills and not on likes and dislikes.

im my opinion, runners can be divided into 5 classes:
1.gods(no need to explain): markus, peter, joe. any questions? no? good.
2.great players(no explaination either): stubbz(this one getting very close to dogs), martin, timo, ilkka... etc.
3.good players(players above the average skill, and sometimes make great demos occasionally): amrik, pretty balls, carl, daniel hansson, denn, robert...
4.human players(players with average skill, we are just human so we cant help making mistakes for all time, and we can never make a great demo): me, ken, basil, and most guys at sda who have a few records and dont show up very often.
5.defected players(too handicapped to make even demos of average level): morfans, tim, and a few others, there are too few of them so i can't name.

Edited by - -SCUT-OpenGL on 7/31/2003 5:09:48 AM

StubbyPosted - 31 July 2003 0:18 PST
LOL!

- The Axe Basher -

MorfansPosted - 31 July 2003 4:12 PST
Well thank-you very fucking much.
timPosted - 2 August 2003 1:22 PST
quote - 5.defected players(too handicapped to make even demos of average level): morfans, tim, and a few others, there are too few of them so i can't name. -endquote

hmm defected eh? thats pretty bloody rude, not everyone likes to run how everybody else does so when you compare them all based on stuff like that well then some ppl will look like shit but your view is biased.

It seems your view is mainly based around bunnying and the ability to get "MUST DOWNLOAD" demos, I would ask you to change our "status" from "defected" to "casual players" or something similar.

Another thought, if we are so defected, I would ask you to stand by your word. If we can't even make demos of an average level then it wouldn't be too hard for a human like yourself to beat ALL of Morfy and my demos. I will give you 1 week to start this task of removing the crap demos, and every week from then on I expect another improvement.

If you fail this task then I expect a full apology to myself and Richard.

One last thing, I don't think you should have posted that .. or if you did then you should have worded the last bit differently

verorbebPosted - 2 August 2003 4:06 PST
i think i'm in the same catogory as richard and morfy..call it wohever you want, i don't we have more or less fun playing Q. And you should see that there are some different skills in speedrunning

-technique (bunnying, hugging, aiming,etc)
-mad trick skillz
-route planning
-endurance
-optimising
-politics (if you're good at this monsters will cooperate better)
-self confidence
-spamming
-and i disagree that ppl who use the skill "coding" belong to the gods not that i doubt their skills but it's against my principles!
-stubbz is one of the gods to me, especialy when you calculate all the factors (only look at the amount of seconds he improved id records in total) that will be way more then joe or peter

timPosted - 2 August 2003 4:30 PST
"i think i'm in the same catogory as richard and morfy"

hehe makes it sound like they are 2 different ppl :) but you have some good point basil, we play the same game for different reasons, play different maps and make different demos.

I'd say i'm more an endurance fan

verorbebPosted - 4 August 2003 13:31 PST
lol meant mr Skidmore & the Donkeyhunter but you already geussed that
JozsefPosted - 6 August 2003 6:55 PST
I'd attach another one to Basil's notes:
-style
-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 6 August 2003 7:07 PST
yep, morfy and tim has some slow but surefooted style, while my demos are always impatient, unholy, messy, impure, chaotic.
StubbyPosted - 11 August 2003 11:43 PST
I enjoy watching even the slowest demos (demos recorded by runners who are on the "low" end of the scale), just as long as they have some entertainment value. I personally prefer smooth movement, good aiming, hard to do tricks etc. etc., instead of demos that are just fast but have no "soul" if you know what I mean... I like the kind of demos where I can tell which runner who recorded the demos just by looking at his movement/aiming. A good example is Markus who has that extreme smoothness in nearly all his demos (his earliest ones were recorded without m_filter 1), I never get tired of watching his demos, even though most of them has been beaten by the bunnymachine, Jozsef ;-)

As regard to my own records, I can say that I'm working harder on getting my movement and aim right, than I'm working on improving my bunnies. I know I might be able to beat some really nasty id easy/nightmare runs if my bunnies improved, but I'm not really that interrested, I like to do 100%'s because it involves ALOT more than just being able to run fast, you know to maneouvre very well, you need to have a steady aim and a low sensitivity, you need to plan your routes carefully, come up with new tricks that save time etc etc., and most important of all, you need to be persistant and just keep trying and trying until you get that "perfect" run (which can take months in the most extreme cases!)

To name a few people that has inspired me:
- Yonatan Donner (for his reign in the early days, and his smoothness)
- Nolan Pflug (for being persistant and keeping SDA alive all these years, and for being an id 100% nut before I came along :-)
- Stefan Schwoon (I've always like his casual style, and the fact that he is a genius also adds another point in my little book, hehe)
- Matthias Belz (for filling all the nasty holes in the tables)
- Ilkka Kurkela (the name says it all really! Mr. Kurkela has been a major influence on most speedrunners, excluding the ones that retired before he entered the scene...)
- Justin Fleck (for the sheer amount of tablefillers! and he's actually not a bad player...)
- Peter Horvath (the Devil himself, need I say more?!)
- Jozsef Szalontai (same as Ilkka, the name says it all, and he seems to be unstopable!)
- Markus Taipale (the master of smoothness in my opinion, and he really took speedrunning to a new level that was previously unheard of!)
- Valeriy Burmistrov (no other speedrunner has optimized so many records!)

...that was more than a few people, but I couldn't really mention one without mentioning all the others, right? ;-) And I didn't even mention Will Marsh, Attila Csernyik, Sergi Cami, Timo Nieminen, Daniel Lindberg, Daniel Magnusson, Ingmar Poerner, Thomas Bergendorff, Martin Selinus, Fabian Kollakowski etc etc etc etc.....

Ok, I've written enough now, my views on speedrunning are open for debate ;-)

- The Axe Basher -

NagasakiPosted - 11 August 2003 13:28 PST
Heck, why the hell should someone put runners into classes? The way I see it, it's like the individual skills are just too wide-spread to even say X is better than Y, but not yet as good as Z is.

Neither Joe or Markus would be able to do NH demos as crazy as Thomas does *wink* :-)

And get off that "god" and "defected" bullshit, it's ridiculous.

In South-East-Asia we used to say "Ain't all of us just humans". Or perhaps that was on SpeedCon when Ilkka was puking into Marlo's garden. But whatever.

[AK]Naga$akeY 2003
http://www.PlanetQuake.com/illMind/

StubbyPosted - 11 August 2003 13:58 PST
Heh, that puking story certainly circles around alot ;-)

- The Axe Basher -

KenPosted - 11 August 2003 18:20 PST
Just one word: WoW. What a crock of sh1t.

This post by openGL makes me feel pity, not only for him, but for me, because, honestly, even though I'd like to think I never acted as retarded-like as him, I *kinda* used to think like him, pretty damn much.

Through times, I've read some logs, and I can't truly understand how people like Nolan could take SO much crap from me before finally getting pissed off. This post makes me understand a bit better why a few people on the SDA/QDQ staff felt I was (or AM, don't know) a complete idiot, a f*cked up and stupid inmature piece of sh*t. And it really hurts to realize they were, *cough*, right... :/

Back when I started speeding I guess I was just too bloody excited. I can't blame my age, I must've been 15 or so.. but, believe it or not, I've always been fairly mature for my age (and that's being honest). But with SDA.. it was different. The demos were so impressive, I just _had_ to 'stalk' the "gods" (as openGL would say); I was also so bloody thirsty for updates, that I'd bother the staff via ICQ just about 24/7. :/

Just as I told Graffz on IRC moments ago.. I was never too adicted to Quake.. Well, yes, in a way, I certainly was! But I can honestly say I never liked playing as much as I liked watching kickass demos! And that's what made me so annoying, coz I just wanted more and more demos.. Hell, I've made some demos myself, but, in case you haven't noticed, I don't make demos as often nowdays.. I can say I got kinda tired of speeding.. nowdays I just play QW, and on my machine (still no adsl or cable, damnit!).. And yeah, I do talk to some of the greats in QW, but I haven't pissed anyone off... yet. :P (Just kidding).

Anyways, just wanted to express my thoughts.. And to those of you who I've bothered in the past: Sorry, wish I could make it up. :/

And, btw, openGL: I am really THAT low on your scale? Heh.. I like to think I'm a bit better than you think, then. :)

Agree with Jozsef, also.. Style is VERY important. Smoothness in the movement.. Demos that show complete control of your moves every single milisecond.. I kinda think like Thomas S. in that way, for what I've read.

And since everyone gave opinions... Here's mine: Those classifications are idiotic, but if I were to classify my favourite (favourite!!, not who I think are the best) players, I'd say (in no order): Daniel Lindberg, Timo Nieminen, Sebastian Olsson (e4m5_059 is now slow, but still so damned cool) and Markus Taipale, although he didn't have that wide movement. Denn has it, but some of his moves are a bit exaggerated for my taste.

Terribly sorry for making you (if anyone got this far) read so much crap! :)

KenPosted - 11 August 2003 18:24 PST
Oh, screwed up something: If you think that parragraph about me not speeding anymore has no point at all.. I forgot saying this at the end: "So, now that I don't speedrun much, I know how bugged I'd feel if anyone would ask me for demos constantly". -- Please forgive my ignorance. And you thought I wrote too much in the previous one, huh!? :)
-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 12 August 2003 4:37 PST
hey men, can't you take it easy? i wrote that just to expresse that i feel some players are good and some others are bad so i think you are a bit oversensitive to blame me.

ken: your post is so long that i started to fall sleepy and really can't get your viewpoint. -_-b

Edited by - -SCUT-OpenGL on 8/12/2003 4:38:36 AM

NagasakiPosted - 12 August 2003 5:01 PST
You still call OpenGL 'retarded'. So where's the difference?

[AK]Naga$akeY 2003
http://www.PlanetQuake.com/illMind/

Edited by - Nagasaki on 8/12/2003 5:03:51 AM

Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2