Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
KenPosted - 10 February 2003 23:02 PST
It's odd... if I, at some point of my dull life, decide to take out the ball off my mouse, so I can clean it a bit on the inside and stuff.... even if I do it while NOT running Quake whatsoever.. when I do start it, my movement is weirder. It's like increased sensitivity, but it's not at the same time.. I get used to it, but... damn, it's weird. My networld.bsp demos I think had that movement.. notice my first bunny on the 2 demos, they're different than what I normally do. Also my new shoot.bsp demo, it has the same problem.. well, not a problem, but the movement, not the usual one.. Next time I reboot, it'll all be fixed.

Any1 ever heard something this strange?

We live, as we dream - alone.

timPosted - 11 February 2003 2:01 PST
i figure buy an optical mouse :) the only balls u want should b inside you body not part of your computer, and dodgy mouse cables are another huge mouse problem, i have 2 dead optical mice cuz of torn cables i think :(
De_VerorberaarPosted - 11 February 2003 2:22 PST
3 baalz are needed; Trackballl ownZ!
mineraalPosted - 12 February 2003 9:19 PST
wanna hear something else strange?

No ?

ok..

--- Rutger Baks
"All your base, are belong to us!"

KenPosted - 12 February 2003 22:39 PST
Was that a joke? If so, it sucked big time.

JozsefPosted - 13 February 2003 1:23 PST
buy an optical mouse, ken
i can suggest logitech or ms intellimouse
i use ms intellimouse explorer. it rox bigtime
MorfansPosted - 13 February 2003 1:53 PST
I agree. Best thing I ever did (mousewise) was get a Logitech optical mouse.

Very cheap, very good.

De_VerorberaarPosted - 13 February 2003 4:27 PST
Logitech rox indeed especially their "marble mouse" a.k.a. the best trackball ever :)
KenPosted - 13 February 2003 8:41 PST
I don't even know what an optical mouse is, but sounds like I need to get one, yeah.. :/

MorfansPosted - 13 February 2003 11:27 PST
*sigh* It's a mouse without a ball, it works using little bouncy bits of light.

No ball=no need to clean the ball ever. You don't even need a mouse mat any more, I just have mine on the desk and it's worked perfectly fpor the last 18 months or so.

timPosted - 13 February 2003 22:52 PST
and they update movement like 1500 times every second so its FAR superior .. maybe u can't get them in your shitty part of the world :P ;) just joking however they are cool unless like me u fuck up the cable, fucked cable = dead mouse, balls or not, maybe i shoudl go cordless next time ..
lodisPosted - 14 February 2003 2:38 PST
make sure you get the newer versions of either logitechs or microsofts optical mice then as the older ones didn't have a good enough update frequency, so they had a tendency to skip when making quick moves in games. The newer models have better update frequencies so they work fine for games (even better some say). But some people are used to the friction you get with the ball and so stick to using normal mice. I'm still on my logitech pilot+ (with MS drivers as logitech still can't write drivers worth more than the dung from morfys donkey).
As for cordless I wouldn't go there...you'll get the skipping problem mentioned above.

I was at an internet cafe where they had a setup of 16 computers in one room, and they all had cordless. Needless to say that wasn't too smart as they all interfered with eachother so I was moving my mouse and saw the pointer move on the screen 2 computers away. Quite funny actually.

De_VerorberaarPosted - 14 February 2003 4:00 PST
hehehehe btw my trackball is opticall to, so optical doesnt nescessarily means no ball!
never had any driver problems with logitech
StubbyPosted - 14 February 2003 5:27 PST
I'd have to agree with Bergendorff. I never use logitech's own mouse drivers, they only make things worse. I have a Logitech Pilot mouse with 3 buttons, and it works like a dream with Win98's drivers and PS2 Rate Adjuster Plus :-)

...But I'm still pondering wether to buy a Logitech MX500 with a black IceMat mousepad or not... Can anyone recommend this combo?

- The axe swinging master -

De_VerorberaarPosted - 14 February 2003 5:37 PST
i always hear that if you game with a mouse the boomslang's are good
StubbyPosted - 14 February 2003 6:14 PST
Boomslangs suck ass!

- The axe swinging master -

Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2