Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 31 December 2002 9:07 PST
this is the first part of a lame project that runs through quake, using the "id expected route", without any tricks that increases your velocity, such as hopping, wallhugging, zigzaging, weapon jumping, enemy boosting and so on. so far i've done ep1 in an amazing time of 4:50!

e1m1: 0:29(without the qdqlite jump!!!)
e1m2: 0:36
e1m3: 1:10
e1m4: 0:43
e1m5: 0:41
e1m6: 0:47
e1m7: 0:24

MorfansPosted - 1 January 2003 3:55 PST
Wow. An unboosted e1m1 in under 30 seconds!

That's pretty amazing.

e2m6 could be rather loooong doing it this way. :-)

-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 1 January 2003 9:06 PST
that's right. i've got 3:28 and i hope for 3:25 or so. there is no room for improvement in the lift area at all.
timPosted - 1 January 2003 15:21 PST
i'm not sure exactly what the id intended routes would b for some levels like e1m3, did they intend you 2 jump down 2 gold key, or walk around long way then back up there

this is a bad example but yeah your project might not b exactly the intended route

FragBait01Posted - 3 January 2003 7:40 PST
trust me, the id intended route is ALWAYS the long way ;). but u never know, the first time i ever played e1m3 in my whole life(i.e. when quake came out) i just dropped down to the gold key cus i thot it would be easier :).
StubbyPosted - 3 January 2003 9:32 PST
I have 0:35 on e1m2 :-) Over to you Weixing....

P.S. I also have 0:29 on e1m1...

- The axe swinging master -

De_VerorberaarPosted - 4 January 2003 6:26 PST
but! in e4m4 there's the gj hole/secret..so boosting wasn't completely unintended

better example e1m4; quite obvious dblfiendboost was intended :P

mineraalPosted - 16 January 2003 11:19 PST
btw.. stricly taken, it's IMPOSSIBLE to run unboosted. If you take a strafe, tadaaaa, zig-zag. You always get boosted a little...
Thinking about it.. quake is a buggy game..

--- Rutger Baks
"Ganesh commands you!"

timPosted - 16 January 2003 16:37 PST
weixing, i don't think you should do this project since it would be hard not 2 do those tricks to get you boosts, what you need is a crap runner or runners who can't bunny or whatever if they tried, (like me) :) that way you are guaranteed to have it done like u want :)
mineraalPosted - 17 January 2003 8:57 PST
are you calling me a crap runner ??...

did tim just call me a crap runner ?? ...

WHAT ??

euhhh... damn.. wrong messageboard, I am not the supreme overlord and best runner available here..

:PP

--- Rutger Baks
"Ganesh commands you!"

timPosted - 18 January 2003 1:57 PST
fool i didn't mention your name, you must just associate "bad running" and yourself :)

:P

mineraalPosted - 18 January 2003 8:04 PST
euhhh, damn..

*snif* YES it's true, I won't denie it any longer!!

I SUCK AT RUNNING..
eventhough it was obvious..

damn.. wrong messageboard again..
:PP

--- Rutger Baks
"Ganesh commands you!"

FragBait01Posted - 18 January 2003 23:06 PST
>but! in e4m4 there's the gj hole/secret..so >boosting wasn't completely unintended

>better example e1m4; quite obvious >dblfiendboost was intended :P

the only trick id intended was the rj to the inviso up to the tele in e4m4.

and where was the double fiend boost intended? the blue door is there for a reason, and so is the blue key. otherwise, everything is available on foot.

mineraalPosted - 19 January 2003 10:24 PST
I never really got that, indeed, the GJ was intended in e4m4. I assume that the fellas at iD-software have played quake 1 for a quadzillion time. And they NEVER noticed the jumping on a grenade ? Hell, in multiplayer I rocketjump accidently all the time. It's hard NOT to rocket- or grenadejump for 20 consecutive minutes!

They must have noticed something!

--- Rutger Baks
"Ganesh commands you!"

RadixPosted - 19 January 2003 19:45 PST
They knew that damage boosted you... they put it in the QC code! But supposedly they never thought that if you got a boost right after you jumped you'd get lots of height. The thing in e4m4 does not require jumping.
NagasakiPosted - 20 January 2003 4:55 PST
What about simply fixing these "bugs" ?

[AK]Naga$akeY 2002
http://www.PlanetQuake.com/illMind/

Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2