Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
YellowJacketPosted - 30 December 2002 6:11 PST
Hello there.

Well, thanks for putting up QdB on Christmas.

But... am I the only one who thinks there's something missing?

Yes, you've run the eps/maps in descending order, but I thought you'll run the *maps* themselves *backward* too... That's what *I* would call "a new twist".

Sure, it would need mucho engineering progs.dat-wise, to take care of some lifts and triggers that are unreachable from the other side, but I'm also sure it *would* be possible.

Awww, what do YOU think?

HTH, YJ.

YellowJacket visits the Lava God.

StubbyPosted - 31 December 2002 4:59 PST
The original idea WAS actually to run the maps "backwards", but that idea got ditched some way along the process. It would sure have been entertaining... but I think there's more reply value to the run as it is now.

- The axe swinging master -

mineraalPosted - 2 January 2003 9:54 PST
Indeed, when I started running I did entire EP1 backwards fysically, had ep1 in 3 to 4 mins.. don't know exactly (Jozsef? you remember?) It's fun, but there are a few flaws in doing that, like shooting buttons, and more stuff you just HAVE to turn around for. With that comes that in quake you can't look all the way down, so instead of boosting from front angle, you are boosting from back angle. Which gives less altitude.

and I'd say.. just for fun.. try the damn e2m6 jump backwards! that's hell!

Though, I would like to see a contest of some sort, bunnyhopping backwards is fun...

YellowJacketPosted - 3 January 2003 5:20 PST
Oh nonononono, I didn't mean the "running backward" literally! "Entering map at exit spot, leaving at start" is the point. Like, in e1m1, spawning at "exit"-teleporter, shoot wall to the left, go trough MH secret, turn left again, up the lift, through the corridor, and so on...

FYI, YJ.

StubbyPosted - 3 January 2003 9:30 PST
Oh, hehe I got your point now :-) But I'm afraid you can't complete some of the maps due to locked doors where you'd need the key etc. So you'd have to choose whether or not to open the doors with cheats, which in my opinion wouldn't be much fun. But the idea of starting from exit and going to start is not bad...

- The axe swinging master -

De_VerorberaarPosted - 4 January 2003 6:31 PST
how would such a run start by untelefragging shubb? :)
YellowJacketPosted - 4 January 2003 17:57 PST
Well, that's just part of the story:

After telefragging Shub, our fellow marine realizes, that the date with his gorgeous babe is just <insert final time(+ 5sec.) of "Tha real QdB" here> away. So he needs to go back through all the 4 Quake episodes, to meet said babe in time, or she'll never even look at him again.
But some dimensional crack played bad with him, populating all levels again with monsters. Monsters he thought he'd killed when he ran trough to frag Shub, once again come to life...

HTH, YJ.

mineraalPosted - 6 January 2003 9:15 PST
END could even just be a movie sequence without actually running it..
sounds tempting.. QdRB.. Quake done REALLY Backwards :PPP
mineraalPosted - 6 January 2003 9:15 PST
END could even just be a movie sequence without actually running it..
sounds tempting.. QdRB.. Quake done REALLY Backwards :PPP
HanzPosted - 7 January 2003 5:42 PST
There are just too many impossible levels. In episode 1 only: E1M7, E1M6, E1M3 and E1M2
-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 7 January 2003 22:23 PST
i think e1m1 is impossible also... or we could have used the megahealth secret route back in qdq.

really, more than half of the maps are impossible, i must say what a dumb idea it is...

lodisPosted - 8 January 2003 1:01 PST
I like the idea, but it'd require a lot of changes...we'd have to edit the maps in order to make things working (i.e. gold door in e1m6 must not need a gold key to open etc). It's a cool idea, but it requires too much work imo.
MorfansPosted - 8 January 2003 2:30 PST
e1m1 would be very fast with that route. Probably around 0:10. :-)

But I agree there'd be too many issues involved. How do you get up the oubliette, for example.

De_VerorberaarPosted - 8 January 2003 6:24 PST
And you must go against the wind in e3m5
but there's a solution...put your monitor upside down! k better kept my mouth while i had nothing to say
JozsefPosted - 8 January 2003 10:49 PST
nice idea. mr. YellowJacket, but

...to wait another full minute in the e2m6 elevator??? NO WAY!
huh, at least it would move upside this time.... how fascinating =/

YellowJacketPosted - 8 January 2003 20:42 PST
Ey, I've seen lifts that were even slower than the one in Dismal Oubliette 8-o

And to all the people here:
Yes, it *would* require some R'n'D, but the idea *is* tempting...
If I'd ever find the patience, I'd program and run it myself, but...

FYI, YJ.

Topic is 3 Pages Long:    1 2 3