Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
KenPosted - 4 September 2002 22:00 PST
Rotw's are good. We should have more than we do, dudes... Twice or something, much more maybe. I liked the "mini" contests, those are cool, and there are probably like a billion different ideas for contests in the ID maps, like the mini ones.

Like.. Kill certain monsters on certain map and exit as fast as possible.. Or reach certain secret, kill certain monster(s) or do certain shit on a map, and exit quickly.

I know, a weird parragraph that was. But anyways, we've hade those (e4m7, e4m4, e2m1, e4m5..) and they've been good. Oh, e1m8 too.. And dunno what else.

Anyways, I'm just saying this because sometimes I don't feel like go searching for a record I could break.. and I fool around in some maps.. And I think these contest, as dumb as they could sound, could actually entertain some people.

Just a thought.

We live, as we dream - alone.

amrikPosted - 5 September 2002 15:57 PST
Ken! What the fuck?! Do you have any fucking clue how hard it is to run _one_ RotW?! It's a pain in the ass for lazy people like us speedrunners. Now Stubby will skool you in the art of using swear words when his reply comes. =)
timPosted - 5 September 2002 22:11 PST
idea number 1, kill every shambler in Nightmare ep4 in a marathon, using only axe, no other monster may die, and no telefragging :P, also if you wish to move you must execute flawless bunnies. hehe
StubbyPosted - 6 September 2002 1:15 PST
"Now Stubby will skool you in the art of using swear words when his reply comes"

I've stopped using harsh words on the board, it's just not worth it, you won't get anything positive out of it :-)

I'm trying to set up a new Championship, but it will contain several adjustments, especially with the points system. I have yet to figure out all the details, but a 2nd Championship will see the day of light. I don't know when, so please don't bug me about it, it'll come when it'll come :-)

- The axe swinging master -

lodisPosted - 6 September 2002 1:18 PST
bah.
rotw are a GOOD THING (tm).
ken's got a point, maybe we don't always need new maps, we could use the old maps everyone knows for something new...
I'm interested...but stubby's running the rotws so you better bend over if you want him to listen :)
StubbyPosted - 6 September 2002 5:02 PST
Err, I don't get it lodis, are you against what I said or what? I merely just stated that there will be a new Championship, that's all I said and that the points system would change.

And I don't get the other thing you're saying either. We HAVE used id maps for ROTW contests before, quite alot actually....

Please enlighten me if I misunderstood what you said.

KenPosted - 6 September 2002 8:36 PST
Amrik didn't understand, obviously.

That was exactly my point. "How hard it is to run a rotw" ??? Well damn, using an old map it'd be hella easy. Just update SDA "new mini contest, do <insert mission here> and send demos to me. Bye bye" .. And then, he posts the demos.. can't be all that harder than making a regular update.

mineraalPosted - 7 September 2002 9:57 PST
geeeeeeeeeeez ken. That's easy for YOU to say. YOU don't have to update at all, and YOU don't have several MB's of little demos gagging (don't ask where I heard the word "gagging" before) your mailbox.

All you do is send in a demo for the contest and see the update.. What did you think, the updating elfs come everynight??

besides, doing to many ROTW's would take out the fun.

subz: you rule..

StubbyPosted - 7 September 2002 10:42 PST
Thanks for the kind words mineraal, though you spelt my nick horribly wrong....or maybe you were referring to someone else? :-)

Edited by - Stubby on 9/7/2002 10:51:21 AM

KenPosted - 8 September 2002 1:29 PST
I doubt it's much harder than a regular update... Not since they put all the demos in one .dz file, in one download, and not each sepparately.

StubbyPosted - 8 September 2002 3:22 PST
"I doubt it's much harder than a regular update"

WTF! It takes MUCH MUCH longer to do than a regular update!!! You have to look through all the demos, check the decimals to see who is fastest, check if they're cheated, do the championship ladder (which takes forever to do), do the contest page (which also consumes a large amount of time), upload the demos, write comments, put an update on the SDA front page, etc.

You take too much for granted Ken....

mineraalPosted - 8 September 2002 3:48 PST
end of discussion.. ;P
HanzPosted - 8 September 2002 11:57 PST
Hey, I have an idea for ROTW contest. Play Janitor again but this time you only have to pick up 5 boxes!

(I was just kidding in case you couldn't tell ;) )

-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 8 September 2002 17:05 PST
stubby you've made a good nickname for ken. ;-P
KenPosted - 8 September 2002 17:44 PST
Stubby: Screw the ladder dude, that was my intial point when I did this post. Making small contests (like the mini ones), would only require checking if the demos are cheated (To be honest, I wasn't aware of this one when I posted this..), writing down the exact times, and putting them up. With no ladder whatsoever, which is, as it says in your post, what takes 'forever' to do.

But ok, maybe it's not THAT easy, but it can't be that tiring either.. Plus, you'd sleep more comfortable knowing you help entertaining people. :P

lodisPosted - 9 September 2002 4:12 PST
stubbz: my reply was to the previous posters.
when I replied you were probably writing at the same time I was, but you submitted seconds before me :)
And yes, the fact that there will be a new ROTW championship rocks.
And I know we've had contests on id maps, but maybe we should have more? my point (and ken's I believe) was that we can use the old trustworthy id maps for a few contests...
everyone has the maps, everyone knows the maps etc. Not that I dislike custom maps, don't get me wrong :)

Topic is 3 Pages Long:    1 2 3