Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
DennPosted - 2 April 2002 21:02 PST
What it 1.3 sec?
At the beginning of record any demos.
RadixPosted - 2 April 2002 21:44 PST
Uh oh it's the yoda guy again.
Anyway I know what he means... each demo has *1.4* seconds at the start of them. This is just how quake works, it starts the time at 1.0 and advances four frames of 0.1 seconds before letting you start. However there are ways to make that start time be between 1.2 and 1.4, but those methods are not allowed as they give 'free time' essentially and can alter the state of a level dramatically. The only exception is pausing at the start of a coop demo, which makes the start time 1.3, this is allowed.
RobertPosted - 12 April 2002 3:44 PST
No wonder all my coops are better than my single runs =D
amrikPosted - 17 April 2002 15:04 PST
yah, you can pull down the console while the map is loading and save .2 seconds, but this is cheating! Maybe Nolan could explain why..
RadixPosted - 17 April 2002 17:00 PST
Explain why it gives you 0.2 seconds or why its not allowed?
timPosted - 17 April 2002 17:07 PST
i learnt about that for either 100m or 110m contest and made illegal demos i think .. however since they were slow it didn't matter too much cuz it didn't put me up any places
i think it meant you can somehow start while looking if a different direction then you were supposed to .. at least that is what i did .. and only in those demos
RadixPosted - 17 April 2002 18:02 PST
Uh there's nothing wrong with looking another way when you start. This does not require you to pull down the console, just move the mouse while the map is loading!!
timPosted - 18 April 2002 3:15 PST
do you guys remember why my demos weren't legal then?
amrikPosted - 20 April 2002 4:34 PST
nolan: explain why it gives .2 seconds, its pretty obvious why it isnt allowed ;)
MorfansPosted - 20 April 2002 4:50 PST
I'm not sure Nolan understands it enough to explain. I'd better do it. :-P

*ahem*

We have already established that it ticks over 4 frames between the map/record command and control being handed over to the player.

The first two frames are the server sorting out the physics stuff for doors, platforms, etc. Then the server connects to the client, two more frames of "stuff" then off you go.

But, if the console is down then when the server connects to the client the clock is stopped and the final two 0.1 second frames do not get counted, hence a 0.2 second cheating wh0re advantage.

Probably.