Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 24 March 2002 18:28 PST
suppose there is a 1:30 record which is not so good, and you reckon 1:20 is within your skills, which of the following will you choose?

1.work on it for just a while and got 1:25 or something with ease, submit it, then go on working on it, if a 1:24 or 1:23 occurs, go on submitting again and again.
2.keep working on it for several days and do not submit until you got a 1:20 or 1:21 which you are satisfied with and you don't think you would beat it again within a short period.

heh, i prefer the latter. =\

lodisPosted - 25 March 2002 0:42 PST
me too
Fiendy FriendPosted - 25 March 2002 6:19 PST
i never sumbit records wich i just happen to get if i cant do that time 9/10 it just doesnt feel like i could do it still want to have done e1m1 in 17 a couple more times before i submit it now it just feels like i'm gettting lucky from time to time
KenPosted - 25 March 2002 19:18 PST
I always send my first improvement, unless it's too obvious I can improve further.

I don't like spending a lot of time in demos.. I should have spent some more in e4m5 ER long 1:08 I once submitted, that was just bad, and people might think that's what I can do nowdays. :P (under a min...). But you have to be quite patient to wait several days of improving and stuff. I think I've done it with one or two demos, but not often.

We live, as we dream - alone.

HanzPosted - 28 March 2002 8:06 PST
Heh, Ken, you seem to be quite obsessed about how little time you can spend on an improvement. I reckon nearly all of your txt files say something like "Took me only 30 minutes to do this". Not that it's bad or anything, just an observation..
KenPosted - 28 March 2002 8:54 PST
I am certainly not 'obsessed', but I think it's rather good to say how long you spent, so people get an idea, ya know.. coz it aint the same to spend half hour than spending 3 hours, or whatever.

I mean, I specify coz.. well, dunno, it's cool, I guess. I don't want people to be thinking I needed a week to do a demo, although that wouldnt bother me. For example, if you see the old phal 028 by Jozsef, suposse you didn't see the time he needed, you have no idea of how long it took, "1 hour or so probably" you would think, right? Well, in that particular he specified, and what did he say "this is the result of 11 straight hours..." or something like that, and then you know the demo is the product of some madness! :)

JozsefPosted - 2 April 2002 0:33 PST
Thats right :)
You shouldnt know how big pain I felt in my nahds back then... It was so terrible, I couldnt even sleep
And zeah, it was a real madness near the end of that ~11 hours period :P
KenPosted - 2 April 2002 11:58 PST
The sad fact, Joz, is that you actually BEAT that run some months later!! Damn! Did you need another 11h to make the :26, or did that came any faster?

JozsefPosted - 2 April 2002 23:49 PST
Hah!!
I remember when I decided that I should improve the 28 to 27, coz I felt myslef strong enough to do it. After like half an hour I did 27.3 or something....
The rest is history my friend :)
KenPosted - 3 April 2002 15:06 PST
Hah, when that leads us to assume that from the time you made :28 to the time you made :26, your skills increased big time!