Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
Fr3nPosted - 22 March 2002 23:55 PST
I invented my own routes and used tricks I never had the guts to try before, only to fall short of my goal again and again..... (zippie_sda)

Edited by - Fr3n on 3/22/2002 11:56:51 PM

MorfansPosted - 24 March 2002 1:49 PST
I was amazed that the 2 seperate GJ demo was so slow!
ValeriyPosted - 24 March 2002 4:01 PST
Agreed. Using 2 seperate GJs I
did :09 with HFR. Would be hard
w/o HFR though =(
lodisPosted - 24 March 2002 4:25 PST
a double gljump to get 0:09 is of course very hard, but it can be done...to make it "easier" is to bounce the first grenade off the wall and then when it hits the zombie you do the gljump off the zombie.
(like jozsefs spring 2 demos)

I know, it's hard but hey, that's what speedruns are about :)

MorfansPosted - 24 March 2002 4:31 PST
Surely a "double impact" grenade jump is not possible using a monster that dies with one hit. (Knight, Grunt, Zombie, Enforcer, Spawn or Scrag). The reason being that IMMEDIATELY the first gren hits, whether it's your "bounced" one or the one you're jumping with, the monster dies and his body becomes "transparent" so the second gren has nothing to explode off.

The only way to do a double grenner off a zombie is to throw one at his feet and the GJ off him just before that one explodes.

I could be wrong, of course ;-)

MorfansPosted - 24 March 2002 4:36 PST
BTW: Valeriy: Hard w/o HFR? Wait for the next update...
Fiendy FriendPosted - 24 March 2002 4:44 PST
is it in theorie not possible that the grenades hit the zombi exactly the same moment and still have a doublegj? or when you coop to kill a zombi when you would (double)shotgun the zombi with a couple off players exactly at the same time?
ValeriyPosted - 24 March 2002 5:25 PST
Morfans: for me "hard" eq ">1 hour".
I rarely spend more than that for my demos.
That's why there are no long beauties from
me like from Peter =(
Fr3nPosted - 24 March 2002 10:49 PST
Fiend, that is either completely impossible or so unlikely that it might as well be :)

And yes my fav speedrunner did marvels for the next update with one of the above routes =)

lodisPosted - 25 March 2002 0:41 PST
I agree on the fact that it logically should be almost impossible, but I've gotten it to work...I've been blasted down to 3 in health so it DOES work...

/thomas

Fiendy FriendPosted - 25 March 2002 6:22 PST
i was thinking is there realy a difference for a zombi whether it gets hit by a quadshotgun or shotguns at the same time?
e3m2 would be nice to get the zombies that way
MorfansPosted - 25 March 2002 8:11 PST
I don't think they're the same at all, but someone would need to carefully wade through the source code to be sure.

If Thomas hadn't said that he'd made this work I would have said that it was impossible. I was under the impression that, even if two lots of damage occur in the same frame, their effects are calculated sequentially and thus this could never happen.

eg.

Entity 1 (Grenade) hits zombie
Zombie dies
Gib sequence begins
Entity 2 (Grenade) would have gibbed zombie but no zombie exists so it carries on flying.

Now I'm not so sure...

lodisPosted - 26 March 2002 1:16 PST
I'll record a demo as soon as I'll have the time (which might be tonight or the weekend depending on my luck)
/thomas