Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
Fr3nPosted - 27 February 2002 22:13 PST
I read somewhere that a group of people were actually trying to string together a marathon using only the axe. Is that actually happening? I'd be really intrigued to see how some of the levels get completed. Personally I can run a marathon from e1m1 as far as e1m4 (nightmare skill mind you) without much difficulty, but the exit to e1m4 is nearly impossible. even taking the secret exit seems preferable.
IlkkaPosted - 28 February 2002 12:08 PST
Back in 1998 me and Evan (+Will & Optic later on) were doing this "Axe Project", in which we played on easy skill, and killed every (possible) monster.

We already got
ep 1 almost finished,
ep 2, e2m1-e2m5 done,
ep 3, e3m1-e3m3 done,
ep 4, e4m1-e4m4 done.

So there were like only a few maps to go. Since those days, the project just quietly died, as we got bored, and nobody wanted to try e4m5, because we _thought_ that the spawns would be too much.

Later on, I heard that some people had done more axe demos, but I don't know more about it.

Anyway, one of the coolest thing in this project was the end of e2m4, getting the three buttons pressed with axe... A refilmed clip of how it can be done is here:

<http://www.saunalahti.fi/~scorpion/axetus/demos/possible.zip>

Enjoy! :)

MorfansPosted - 28 February 2002 14:56 PST
Holy Hades on toast!!

I didn't think this could ever be done.

Outstanding.

Fr3nPosted - 1 March 2002 6:36 PST
and here I was expecting a fiendboost over the bars... :)
StubbyPosted - 1 March 2002 9:39 PST
There is certainly still a Quake Done Axed project in the works, but it's been put on hold due to alot of different factors, mostly commitment to other QdQ projects...

- The axe swinging master -