Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
VerorberaarPosted - 26 February 2002 7:13 PST
is there anyome who knows how to extract the campaign maps from the main .mpq...if so starcraft/broodwar would be real nice to run (you can record demos!)
lodisPosted - 26 February 2002 7:28 PST
no that would suck :)
(mr positive, that's me)

/thomas

VerorberaarPosted - 27 February 2002 7:44 PST
do you have the game...? i did the enslavers campaign and one map especially is very suited to "run" cuz you need to save 3 heroes by destroying a certain building (stassis cell) 2 medium defended bases who you can take in lots of ways and 1 harder base but at that time you should have the twwo heroes (1 is a arbiter and has both stassis and recall available) other hero scout (artanis i think) so you can recall you first group into that last base...wich gives you last hero..a hero reever man does he kicks ass if you would find a way to gte him first instead of the other two and rush a dropship...:)

believe me some maps are real fun some will be hour loong demo's and insane hard to optimise...but no worry thomas you don't have to do it..i wouldn't mind doing all of them:)

the first terran broodwar mission is very suited to objective is derstory nmi command center but i always went to early so far just lost my units (5 tanks and a bunch of marines) and then the command center was just not buyrning once finished it of with duran by first taking out 1 turret then comsat station then all unihts attack onn c and get killd by the comps troops thenn cc was about 50% damaged then duran killed it by cloak but it lasted way to long geuss i need just 2 tanks more or something:)

NagasakiPosted - 27 February 2002 7:56 PST
And where's that one thingie, you know, which makes it all entertaining? Ahh the, err.. action?

[AK]Naga$akeY 2002
http://www.PlanetQuake.com/illMind/

lodisPosted - 27 February 2002 8:22 PST
thx ingmar for saving me from pointing out the obvious...and besides who would like to watch hour long demos? (that'd be tim then, mr marathon)
give it up...
Martin SelinusPosted - 27 February 2002 15:04 PST
Actually, there can be lots of action in a SC demo. If you've ever seen a 1on1 demo between two real pros, you'll know what I mean...

As for speedrunning, I think that could be cool too. If someone really good did it.

lodisPosted - 28 February 2002 0:53 PST
1on1 is different, that's multiplayer (yeah I know coop is multiplayer too). I'm sure you've noticed that sda hasn't got any 1on1 demos :)
I just can't see people really watching hour long demos of someone playing sc againt the computer...

/thomas

Martin SelinusPosted - 28 February 2002 6:57 PST
Obviously, I know 1on1 is totally different :)

And I don't think the demos has to be an hour long. If a really good player tried, I'm sure the time could be at least half or even less.
There are some very neat tactics the pros uses, and I'm sure some of it could be used in SP too..

But it wouldn't be half as cool as Quake and Elasto Mania speedruns of course :)

gravityPosted - 23 January 2003 2:41 PST
Any level in SC and BW could probably be completed in much less than an hour with good speedrunning.
I came up with this idea independently, and managed to get 8:01 on an extracted Terran 6 (original SC). Of course the levels with specific goals will generally be quicker than "destroy everything" levels, but destroy everything can still be interesting due to the wide possibilities for a run.

Sure, the runs wouldn't be as action-packed as QDQWAV or whatever, but they could still be interesting, and hardly hour-long borefests any more than the average quake level takes 10 minutes to run (though some big destroy everthing levels like BW Zerg 10 might take that long).

The problem is, however, that saving replays doesn't usually work properly in single-player levels, and the playback stuffs up half-way through.

So unless Blizzard fixes this problem with a patch (or someone invents a good 3rd party recorder), a QDQ/SDA style run of Starcraft or Brood War won't be possible.

Edited by - gravity on 1/23/2003 2:48:40 AM

gravityPosted - 23 January 2003 2:45 PST
Also, if you want to extract the levels, search for and download an MPQ extractor, then use it on the install.exe file you your SC or BW cd. For each scenario, extract the scenario.chk file, rename it as something.scm or .scx, open it in the map editor, then save-as under a different name in you maps directory.
It should then be able to be played like a normal 1-player UMS map, but replays won't play-back correctly, unforunately.

I've tried to run a few levels myself in the past, I might do them again and post times if anyone is interested in a having a mini-competition or something.

Edited by - gravity on 1/23/2003 2:46:58 AM

De_VerorberaarPosted - 24 January 2003 6:32 PST
the enslaverrs campaign has a great map for speedrunning i think its enslavers3a

my best time one on one against a comp 2:33 that quicker then any run on avatar! :)

zerg vs zerg that was

mineraalPosted - 24 January 2003 10:18 PST
crazy dutch :)

--- Rutger Baks
"Ganesh commands you!"