Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
Fr3nPosted - 27 January 2002 17:30 PST
Stubby recommended I study a certain ROTW for gimmicks to implement in a map for the contest and now I've thought of something =)

I'd like a progs.dat in which the player is given 5 seconds to live once he (or she, more chick runners?) spawns in any level. When a certain object (trigger_checkpoint or something) is triggered, it should add a certain amount to the timer (whether definable as a key or locked to a small number like 4 seconds) to prolong death.

Please respond if you can code and think this is possible/impossible or if you'd like to do it. Or if you're so l33t that you could do it in an hour, be the first to email me a progs.dat and you will receive credit and a huge kiss. ;)

Thanks to whomever =)

Edited by - Fr3n on 1/27/2002 5:33:49 PM

Fr3nPosted - 27 January 2002 17:35 PST
naturally the timer should be included too....
timPosted - 28 January 2002 3:12 PST
hmm i see some people managing to press buttons from when they start playing to 5 mins b4 the deadline .. when they stop recording, dzip the demo, and send in a multi hour long demo :) ... while some are too slow and press maybe one or 2 buttons then die ... or did i miss the point? prolly i'm tired and have a bad headache from all the heat at the moment
VerorberaarPosted - 28 January 2002 5:31 PST
it would be tthe mappers work rto make each each next trigger harder to reach so that wouldn't be no problem then and only trigger them once
Fr3nPosted - 28 January 2002 9:33 PST
tim: these are buttons within the map and they stay pressed so you'll have to find a new one or the next one to stay alive ;P

basil: yeah

timPosted - 28 January 2002 13:45 PST
how do u establish a winner then? what if two people find exactly the same buttons getting the same time?
StubbyPosted - 28 January 2002 14:41 PST
Tim: Don't be so curious, we wouldn't want to spoil the surprise.... :-)

- The axe swinging master -

Daniel. APosted - 28 January 2002 14:50 PST
i bet daniel hansson could do it... add him on icq and ask (uin:94845103)
timPosted - 28 January 2002 20:48 PST
curiousity makes the world go around :)

eg ppl who thought what if e1m1 could be done under 30 seconds?
i'm sure everyone would be boring without being curious .. so i'll ask again, how do u decide the winner :P

Fr3nPosted - 28 January 2002 22:24 PST
Tim, I plan to include an exit as well, so the run will be decided like any other run by whoever gets to the exit fastest. The buttons would just be a way to make it more interesting than merely finding the fastest route and sprinting for the exit. Think checkpoints or time bonuses in a timed racing game.
minwaterPosted - 28 January 2002 23:45 PST
f3rn: that way there wouldn't be any route improvements, everybody would have to go and push the buttons.
But maybe a level with (e.g.) 14 buttons throughout the level. Shoot-buttons and Push-buttons, which trigger the exit.

Or a level which is finishable in 3 ways. like two doors to the exit, a blue key, and a gold key. All found on another route. Would only make it a large level.

Or complete different skill structures. Creating new segments in maps on nightmare or easy, with flag not_in_skill_1 /2 /3.

Or another collectathon! ;P

- (c) Mineraal Water 2002 -
35% reduction on cave insurance deductibles!

MorfansPosted - 29 January 2002 1:36 PST
Min. I think you've missed the obvious here.

If you're fast, or find some shortcuts, you don't have to go to so many "time-up" points.

lodisPosted - 29 January 2002 5:05 PST
I like the idea a lot. Go for it fr3n. it's been too long without a rotw :)

/thomas

VerorberaarPosted - 29 January 2002 7:08 PST
fr3n! fr3n! fr3n!

:P

minwaterPosted - 29 January 2002 23:40 PST
morfans: Min. I think you've missed the obvious here. That figures... That's so typically me ;p

- (c) Mineraal Water 2002 -
35% reduction on cave insurance deductibles!