Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
blackoutPosted - 14 January 2002 21:05 PST
Got a couple questions for everyone =)

1. What is the command for HFR? Can't seem to remember it....

2. Why on e1m3 qdqwav, and similar nr does everyone stop slightly before the fiend and do a little 'circle' strafe? Is it just to set-up the fiend kill easier?

3. QdQ have plans for a qdqwav recam? Or busy working on other projects? =)

4. Ever since I got back to school after Holiday break my Quake has been running with a constant moniotor-flicker in the upper left corner. Almost as if my monitor refresh rate is too high, but it only happens in quake... never had this prob before but it's very annoying and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to fix? =\

5. Any plans on a new rotw anytime soon? I don't have much of a chance breaking SDA records but I still like to 'compete' =)
---------------------------------------------
And as for the avi's... I'm big into quake3, specifically q3f (quake 3's version of tf www.q3f.com ;)

Here are a couple vids me and a friend have made from q3f... most involve conc jumps (grenade that gives you a big boost but concussions you), air shots, some funny bugs, and grenade jumps (hand grenades not gren launcher for those familar with tf).

http://pq3f.railbait.com/files/demos/q3fomg.avi

http://pq3f.railbait.com/files/demos/q3fomg2.avi

http://pq3f.railbait.com/files/demos/q3f_tribute.avi

Omg1 is our first 'attempt' it is mostly gameplay from matches and pubs and the graphics aren't that great.

Omg2 is 2nd 'movie' Eyecandy is better and there is some cool stuff in here =)

Tribute is cool too. No need to have any knowledge of q3f to understand this one.

All the files are direct dl's around 30-50mb and use Divx. Comments + Feedback appreciated =)

-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 15 January 2002 1:32 PST
hello man, i m only an audience of sda and i can't do speedruns myself, but i have watched so many speedrunning demos that i think i can tell you something:

1. host_framerate, but i dont know exactly what the parameter stands for, i only know that 0 is the normal speed and 0.005 is pretty slow(the smaller the slower).
2. it makes you easier to lure the fiend to the door of the lift(or else it would pounce on you immediately so you would have to spend a lot of time to lure it back to the door).
3. the qdq stars are working on some other projects(such as a notorious trr2), and i dont know if they would make a recam for qdqwav. but even if they would do it i would like to see it made from a rerelease of qdqwav using all those improved demos(some people believe that <12:00 is possible) a few years later.
4.dunno... and which version of quake do you use? dosquake shivers on my computer(in some seconds it becomes very fast, and in the next some seconds it gets right), winquake was ok with my old riva128 card, but after i bought a tnt2 it crashes whenever i start it, later someone told me how to fix it but still it is unstable. the only version that works normally is glquake but it is hard to see the enemies in it.
5. who is going to tell him, stubby or morfy? ;-P

StubbyPosted - 15 January 2002 4:07 PST
"who is going to tell him, stubby or morfy?"

I AM :-)

"QdQ have plans for a qdqwav recam? Or busy working on other projects?"

Too busy with other QdQ projects!
Namely Trr2, Qd100Qlite2, Qd100Qwav, QdC (Quake done Chopped), BBlite2, QdB (Quake done Backwards).

"Why on e1m3 qdqwav, and similar nr does everyone stop slightly before the fiend and do a little 'circle' strafe? Is it just to set-up the fiend kill easier?"

This requires a detailed explanation! I advise you to ask someone who's better at english than I am :-)

- The axe swinging master -

Edited by - Stubby on 1/15/2002 4:08:19 AM

minwaterPosted - 15 January 2002 4:46 PST
<i>The great story of 'why that darn circular strafe'</i>

When you walk through the door (where the ogre originally stands) the fiend will jump towards you. But if you move, the fiend will jump WITH your direction. So when you walk backwards the fiend will jump into the wall.
Leaving the fiend exactly opposite to the door it's suppose to block.
Next, run asap to the button, the fiend will see you again and <i> JUMP </i>, he jumps toward you.

Otherwise it would jump past the wall and you would need to lure it back to the right place, this roughly saves 1 / 1.5 second.

And that's why qdqwav rules too!

<marquee> Todeledokie Artesjokie </marquee>

minwaterPosted - 15 January 2002 4:47 PST
ooooooooops..
-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 15 January 2002 4:58 PST
"This requires a detailed explanation! I advise you to ask someone who's better at english than I am :-)"

oh maybe morfy will count... or someone else in england.=P my english sux, i dont think studying it in school in china is of any good.

two other things:
1. i think he asked when there will be a new ROTW coming, who else would know that if you and morfy don't?
2. will there be a rerelease of qdqwav using all improved demos? even in several years... although some demos in it are unbeatable, some others ain't, and i want to see the "optimized" things.

StubbyPosted - 15 January 2002 5:27 PST
"I think he asked when there will be a new ROTW coming, who else would know that if you and Morfy don't?"

When there will be a new ROTW is entirely my decision, as I'm the only one in charge of the contests! But it depends on several different issues to be honest. First and foremost, I need mappers to make ROTW maps, which no-one is particularly interrested in, unfortunately :( I can't map myself, and I don't have time to learn it! Secondly, the next contest will probably be a 'mini' contest on an ID map, much in the same sense as the e4m7 contest. I have an idea of what it should be, but I need a few more weeks to straighten out a few 'issues'. ROTW maps are still more than welcome, just send it to me and I'll check it out.

"Will there be a rerelease of QdQwav using all improved demos?"

This one I seriously doubt, but who knows, maybe there will be a new speedrunning God in a few years from now who's able to improve all the maps.....

Edited by - Stubby on 1/15/2002 5:30:17 AM

NagasakiPosted - 15 January 2002 7:14 PST
Look at ROUTES.TXT included with the QdQwav download to get an answer to all of your questions. Stefan put quite some work into it and it shouldn't be wasted.

Secondly, why are people just so keen on having the same projects released again and again, while 1.000 others are still in progress? We are already having a hard time focusing on all the running ones as you probably have noticed... and rereleasing QdQwav because it's like 10 seconds faster is laughable.
What do you think is the improvements-page for?

[AK]Naga$akeY 2002
http://www.PlanetQuake.com/illMind/

-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 15 January 2002 7:29 PST
oh yes, the route.txt is so good that i spent a few days translating it into chinese last year. =)

and about my (stupid) idea on a rerelease of qdqwav... surely i dont mean at this moment(with only 11 seconds improvement), but i hope i would see such a rerelease a few years later when "all" possible improvements are done, maybe below 12:00 as you said, then it could be reasonable to make such a thing(and maybe a recam of it), isn't it? well, maybe this is only possible when the runners have nothing else to do...

Fr3nPosted - 15 January 2002 7:35 PST
heh. On this continent, 1.000 projects = 1 projects =)

Stubby I'd love to map for you but I don't know what the hell to do. Do you have any specific ideas for maps that you can clue me in on so I can make them? =)

minwaterPosted - 16 January 2002 3:01 PST
fern: well.. there IS a second project. It's called QdBlite.

stub: I did some mapping a long while ago (and I must say it's not total crap, not top of the line but no crappy shit, so top off the line it is not, but crappy shit it is neither, see?) and I could try to make some sense out of unfinished ones?

StubbyPosted - 16 January 2002 4:55 PST
Minwater: Sure, just give it a go, and send whatever you have to me.

Daniel. APosted - 19 January 2002 15:15 PST
stub: I map sometimes when im in the mood (and I must say it's not total crap, not top of the line but no crappy shit, so top off the line it is not, but crappy shit it is neither, see?) and I could try to make some sense out of unfinished ones?