Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
Fr3nPosted - 31 December 2001 19:29 PST
two requests:

runners, please name your demos correctly, it's annoying enough to deal with the next issue which is...

Richard please stop using such stupid filenames for every new map. =) "hic"? "dust"? what the hell are those? they don't appear in the filenames. and, despite the fact that there will never be a dnspq2 because Dan chickened out of q1 mapping after his hard drive hari-kiried, the demos really should be something like dns1 the way it is with every other map that has a serialized filename (like jjspq2=jj2, bbelief3=bb3, czg07=czg7, ikspq5=ik5, etc.)

Peace, hope you you Europe, Asia, and Aussie types are drinking it up safely =)

StubbyPosted - 31 December 2001 20:15 PST
Shut up Fern and do some mapping instead :)

Dust was my idea... (Return to Dust)

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!

- The axe swinging master -

StubbyPosted - 31 December 2001 20:17 PST
And what is wrong with naming it 'dnsp' ????
If he hasn't done more than this map for Q1, then I think it's even more appropiate to name it like this.

MorfansPosted - 1 January 2002 1:59 PST
In retrospect I agree that hic was a bad name. It's called "hc.bsp - The Hidden Castle" and I naturally wanted to call the demos hc_xxx. But then I thought "hellctle.bsp - Hell's Castle" already uses hc_xxx so I can't. After literaly 15 seconds thought I settled on hic (HIdden Castle, ya see?). And this would have been all well and good except for the fact that as everyone knows hellctle uses cast_xxx. DOH!!

What can I say? I was tired, drunk and stressed, probably. If you're so god damned perfect why don't you go and start a level review site or something? ;-)

One final little thing. How can you of all people not see where the name "dust" comes from? It's your map!! You called it "Return to Dust" (which I happen to think is a really cool name for a map as it always, for some reason, reminds me of Ozymandias by Shelley). "Return to Dust" : dust_xxx. Anyway, as Thomas says it's all his fault. :-)

And finally, finally, FINALLLY. Why no greeting to our Antarctican friends such as... errr. okay, forget it.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!

MorfansPosted - 1 January 2002 2:02 PST
However, I agree with the other thing you said. PLEASE can everyone make a new years resolution...

"I will name my demos correctly." :-)

Fr3nPosted - 1 January 2002 8:41 PST
I know where return to dust comes from, it's just that I thought demonames were based on the filename and kjs1 demos are not called "avan_xxx" =) Glad you like the title though, there used to be an excruciatingly lame story to go along with it about how the player was turning into a mummy and had to kill everything to become human again blah blah blah :)

I'll stop bitching now ;)

but everyone else do name your demos properly ;)

/me resolves to get one more record...

minwaterPosted - 6 January 2002 7:50 PST
ok.. /me is a newbe.. ok?
how am I supposed to find out about all these strange file names, not that I ever will get to enter a demo, but lets say I would.

Btw.. I don't think santaclause comes from the southpole.. I believe he comes from a cave somewhere north.. the same as Osama.. ?

(I smell conspiracy)

minwaterPosted - 6 January 2002 7:52 PST
Ok.. I totally misunderstood that.. =]

dull.. SNóóóR ..

Fr3nPosted - 6 January 2002 17:26 PST
if you want to know what to name a demo, download the records

/me would have filled his resolution by now if fucking Ken didn't keep owning him =)

minwaterPosted - 7 January 2002 11:17 PST
fr3n : I don't have cable or anything.. It's just pockets full 'o dough
Fr3nPosted - 7 January 2002 18:41 PST
I was really just using that post as an excuse to bitch at Ken ;)
MorfansPosted - 8 January 2002 12:19 PST
Min, It's simple. By the fact that you can post on this board I will presume you have some sort of internet access. :-)

Go to the Menu on the right hand side of SDA. The option one from the top is "TABLES". Click on this. Find the level you wish to know the namimg convention of. Click on it. Hold your mouse over one (or more if you wish to double (or triple (or..etc))) of the records and voila! It will tell you the format to use. Just follow the lead of those that went before.

A longer explanation is available upon request... ;-)

minwaterPosted - 9 January 2002 3:10 PST
morfans, you rule. You seem to know everything =]

StubbyPosted - 9 January 2002 3:25 PST
Hey! I knew about this too... Does that make me rule also?? :-)

messiahPosted - 9 January 2002 7:25 PST
stubby you already own morfans! so you're ruling too =)
VerorberaarPosted - 9 January 2002 8:58 PST
No mather if demos or namen logicaly or not..if i'm sober or not if i try hard or not..i always fuck up my demo names..and proud of it! :P
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2