Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
Fr3nPosted - 23 December 2001 23:23 PST
Why is it that in certain demos, the player's weapon seems to switch only when it is fired? For example, in ingmar's e2m6 demo for qdqwav, the weapon selected for the last part of the lift is the shotgun, yet switches to the GL the instant he fires the grenades. At first I thought it might have something to do with qdqstats, but in my own qdqstats'ed demos, I see myself switching weapons like a moron all the time. Could it have something to do with binds perhaps? I think I remember Ken having something bound to only fire nails... =)
timPosted - 23 December 2001 23:48 PST
thats binding for you

they set it to switch then fire so thats what you see

personally i still use the number keys :)

HanzPosted - 24 December 2001 14:24 PST
Yea, my binding for GL is
bind "f" "impulse 6;+attack;wait;-attack"

I suppose Ingmar used something similar

minwaterPosted - 24 December 2001 15:57 PST
bind e "impulse 6"

and just press mouse1 ("+attack") as fast as possible ;/

KenPosted - 24 December 2001 18:32 PST
Yeah, there are two type of bindings, you can clearly know which is which in the players demos.

1. The players who bind the weapons to the keys, and have one fire button. I think Marlo does this? Also Peter?

2. The players who bind certain weapon to a key that actually fires it. Markus, Ilkka.. they use that one.

I kinda use both.. my 3 key (on the right) switches to SSG or SG (if I dont have SSG), and I use my mouse1 button to fire.

But what you said about me is probably my nails, they are comfortably binded in my right button mouse (mouse3?), when I press it I start firing nails, when I release it it stops. I think doing that actually saves time in speedrunning.. pressing a button that swtches guns and fires it.

ALSO, some players use even other techniques.. well, they use one of the above, but players like Martin make it so that when he fires a grenade, it switches back to the previous weapon. U can notice he uses that in nearly every one of his demos.. that's actually kinda cool.

We live, as we dream - alone.

GraffzPosted - 26 December 2001 7:38 PST
Hi uhm.. this is what I use,
alias -rl6 "impulse 6 ; -attack"
alias +rl7 "impulse 7 ; +attack ; wait"
(just do this for every weapon)
Bind "6" "impulse 6 ; bind mouse2 +rl6"
(same here)
this is for quick-rockets, shoot a rocket with mouse2 and it switches back to the previous weapon..

/Anders Nordensten

GraffzPosted - 26 December 2001 7:42 PST
sorry, forgot one thing.. you have to bind a key to +rl17 etc
Bind "MOUSE2" "+rl7"

minwaterPosted - 30 December 2001 7:26 PST
These bindings save actual time.
If you fire nails before a rocket you will fire the rocket faster, for the rocketlauncher cannot fire nonstop. There is a half second pause or something. And the nailgun doesn't have this.
I use it in DM, the crappy aXe-script. which always switches to Axe, hehe, useless packets.. (weak, I know)
Ilkka KurkelaPosted - 30 December 2001 13:23 PST
This is how my weapons are bound. (IKJL for movement)

//Weapons
bind mouse1 "+m1"
bind mouse3 "+m2"
bind mouse2 "+attack;impulse 6"
bind o "+attack;impulse 2"
bind h "+attack;impulse 3"
bind n "+nails"
alias +m1 "impulse 2;wait;impulse 3;wait;impulse 7;+attack"
alias -m1 "-attack"
alias +m2 "impulse 4;wait;impulse 5;wait;impulse 8;+attack"
alias -m2 "-attack"
alias +nails "impulse 4;wait;impulse 5;+attack"
alias -nails "-attack"

Although sometimes it's slightly different. (eg. if the level I run does not have GL, I use mouse2 for SSG or whatever.)

minwaterPosted - 2 January 2002 4:41 PST
Laugh all you want, I don't have a 3rd mousbttn.. and I don't want one either.. (I have one but it doesn't work..)
KenPosted - 2 January 2002 8:20 PST
Me too, my mouse has 3 buttons, but I don't think I can even bind it. :( It would be damn useful.

We live, as we dream - alone.