Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
FedimeFPosted - 22 December 2001 15:17 PST
btw I am a newcomer to this board so forgive me if i am repeating or asking stupid questions ^_^

i was playing about with hfr on the 100m map and i could get much faster bunnies (and a time of about 9.6) if you don't press the forward button when jumping. I tried to do this with hfr 0 however and it's impossible (for me anyway) - you just come to a halt. Does anyone know why this is? Or is that the proper way to bunny?

Cheers

NagasakiPosted - 23 December 2001 5:40 PST
Always release the FWD button in mid-air.

[AK]NagasakeY 2001
http://www.PlanetQuake.com/Illmind/

FedimeFPosted - 23 December 2001 8:37 PST
I don't know if i explained it properly, but i meant i didn't use the FWD key at all, apart from the first strafe-jump. You seem to go a lot faster =)
KenPosted - 23 December 2001 8:42 PST
FedimeF, of course you'd need to press it to make the first bunny.

I just tried (after reading this) and I also slow down if I don't press it. But you only need it for the jump moment, while you're on the air you can release it, so u have better air control.

About it not being needed on HFR.. well, weird stuff is doable with hfr, but I dont know anyways. :)

We live, as we dream - alone.

Daniel. APosted - 24 December 2001 9:34 PST
i dont use the FWD key when i bunny, you must press the jump key before you land
HanzPosted - 24 December 2001 14:26 PST
Are you guys serious? I press FWD key all the time - without it my air control is zero and I also stop instantly..
minwaterPosted - 24 December 2001 15:51 PST
If you press the jump key before landing and don't use the forward key, you will eventually slow down. Gradually, but you will. You could though, make a lot of twists and turns to compromise the slowdown, but that costs time..
KenPosted - 24 December 2001 18:34 PST
Hanz, do you have records at SDA?

People who don't release the FWD button while on the air have less control, and looks pretty darn ugly.

Try taking a curve without releasig it.. there's no way it'll look as smooth as if u'd have released it..

We live, as we dream - alone.

HanzPosted - 27 December 2001 8:29 PST
Who cares what it looks like? :)
I only have 1 record in SDA now though (and it's old), but my best time in E1M1 is 0:25.08 which is quite good I think. Oh well maybe I'll try practicing the use of FWD some more since it turned out that you were serious after all..