Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
KenPosted - 8 December 2001 15:00 PST
Man.. I've been playing for over a year with a huge disadvantage...

I don't know how much I tried, but I remember back in the 100m contest days, I tried quite hard, and 11 was really hard to get.. my fastest was a 11.73 or something (sent in too late. :() which seemed impossible to beat with my playing..

Yesterday, I tried with WinQuake, and a lower resolution (it runs too quick on DOS, but in Win I can use thw lowest res. without problems), and I got 11.00 in about 5-6 minutes..

That is a HUGE difference, 0.73 seconds shaved off in a 11 seconds run?? Damn, I noticed I could improved pretty much all my previous times.. like e4m5 ER, I got from my old 13.59 to 13.29 in a matter minutes.

I knew I couldn't suck so bad, after the 100m contest I wanted to quit! Heh heh.

Just felt like mentioning that.. so what's up?

We live, as we dream - alone.

NagasakiPosted - 9 December 2001 6:16 PST
I wish you would! =)

[AK]NagasakeY 2001
http://www.PlanetQuake.com/Illmind/

KenPosted - 9 December 2001 10:52 PST
Oh boy, I had my money on that! Even before I wrote the post I knew if I said that line "I wanted to quit", someone, just someone, would have said exactly what you just said. You were one of the possibilites.. I'm amazed it took you so long to say it though.

KenPosted - 9 December 2001 20:52 PST
Seriously, it's frustrating.. I spent a lot of time on many maps, trying hard to be fast.. Not knowing my settings were slowing me down..

Today I tired and improved all my records.. e2m1 ER went from 8.62 to 8.36, that's just funny, isn't it? And to think of all the time I spent on e2m1.. I finally got 24 on e1m1, 24.54.. Finally 31 in e1m2, got 13.05 in e4m5 .. Man! One of you should have told me to try another resolution before!! Actually it's nobody's fault but mine.. oh well.

-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 9 December 2001 21:23 PST
oh man, if you have read some players profiles you should have noticed that they all like to use 320*200 on Ghz systems. if you just like to use 800*600 or 1024*768 with the software rendering of dosquake/winquake you can blame no one else.
NagasakiPosted - 10 December 2001 0:11 PST
It's not like I'm observing the board 24/7 Ken. And who's interested in your individual times anyways??

Why not simply start a topic in the tech forum and report what you've experienced, instead of searching for attention for your boring "sometimes I feel as if I was almost a speedrunner" life?

Sorry, I'm pissed about these endless repetitions. No offense :P

[AK]NagasakeY 2001
http://www.PlanetQuake.com/Illmind/

AttilaPosted - 10 December 2001 10:45 PST
'Man! One of you should have told me to try another resolution before!!'

Ken, I told you when you bugged me about the 110m map...

KenPosted - 10 December 2001 11:53 PST
Ingmar: Fine, but every once in a while it's ok to talk about personal stuff, isn't it? It's not like I've been saying my times ever since the boards started! Offense not taken, ok.

Attila: I 'bugged' u about the 110m map? Don't use that word, brings up bad memories. :P .. lets say I asked you about it. :P .. and hell, I was getting :15 in the normal run, that was just so unacceptable it was driving me crazy.

minwaterPosted - 11 December 2001 6:35 PST
you are strange, ken.
KenPosted - 11 December 2001 11:12 PST
In what way am I strange? I reckon I'm a bit different than most people, but I can hide my crazy side pretty well. But in these boards, why do you think I'm strange? Aren't Quakers supossed to be kinda nutz anyways? :P