Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
KenPosted - 27 November 2001 17:16 PST
Well, back in those days, before Stubby updated, and Ilkka was gone and such.. updates would have about 10 days in between, so I was just DYING to get demos.. and bugging Nolan a lot on ICQ.. now updates are more frequent (and fun too, still laughing at Optic's d1ck joke) so it isn't that needed... However...

NPY was a time saver. If you checked and saw someone had done, lets say, e1m1 EH in 51 seconds, then you wont go spending your precious time trying to beat the current 54..

I haven't dont THAT many demos, so I cant complain, but do u notice there is always "and <insert nick here> sent demos too but too late/too slow" .. That sux. Like some crappy tod demos I made after the Quad was found (both :31), I didn't spend that much, maybe 2 hours combined, but I remember I tried hard those 2 hours and my fingers were hurting.. then I leave a MSG to Stubby, asking if someone submitted anything faster before my demos.. and the answer was? Guess.. :(

Do you have any idea of how many times I could have jerked off in 2 (two!!) hours? Gosh.. instead of USELESS playing. :(

And don't give me something like "well, ask him before playing on ICQ".. coz he aint always there, and that'd probably disturb him more.. :/

Oh, and also don't give me that crap I write too much, if you've read so far and you don't like my writings.. then you're plain dumb, so don't complain.

We live, as we dream - alone.

timPosted - 27 November 2001 18:50 PST
i liked it too, thats why i put up the times of my first bunch of EH's on that 2nd to last batch of new maps ... if ANYONE really thinks it was a good idea then they could also say about stuff in here .. unless its one of those demos that is so cool you just want to shock everyone.
MorfansPosted - 28 November 2001 0:53 PST
A couple of things to add to this.

i) NPY would maybe useful for the first week after new maps but does require an ftp site on someone's PC and a work overhead for someone (Stubby or Myself) to keep it up to date. Besides, we have made a Herculean effort to post these demos as quickly as we can. (Update Tuesday, new maps Wednesday, updates Thursday, Friday, Monday and one coming today). No one is going to stop anyone mentioning their times on the message board but just try to imagine the bitching and whining that would cause because not everyone would want to do so for any number of very good reasons.

ii) And as for wasting time, consider this. (All names, maps and times are fictional)...

Arnold Garlic-Lassoo does the NH of the new map "wnk3r" in 16:36 after 20 minutes trying. And decides to send it in. But then sees that Jim Doohickey has done a 16:35 and so he tries for the next 2 hours and finally gets a 16:34. His arms are too tired to pull it off so instead he sticks it in the cat to celebrate before sending his demo in. When he's finished (two minutes later) he notices that Neil Plug has just done a 3:24. DOH!
So instead of wasting 20 mins he's wasted 2hrs 20 mins and he'll still only get an "honourable mention".
IT COULD HAPPEN!!

iii) "and bugging Nolan a lot on ICQ". That worked, didn't it.

iv) I got so carried away writing that bit
above that I can't remember what my point was.

Oh well. :-)

StubbyPosted - 28 November 2001 5:49 PST
I meant to reply to this thread yesterday saying: NPY sucks sweaty elefant nutz!, but I decided not to due to all the ignorant people who would complain I was being too harsh blah blah blah (insert the usual crap here), but it seems that Richard backs up my reasons and explains them better than I could have done myself, so now I dare say it....

There most likely won't be another NPY again, due to the reasons Richard mentioned above, and also due to that I think the whole idea sucked from the start anyway. We're working hard on our updates, and it's a complete waste of time to do the lengthy updates we (mostly Richard) do if the demos already has been made available. Part of the whole fun in an update is the surprise and anticipation of new demos, at least I had that opinion too when I wasn't an updater at SDA myself. There's nothing better than a massive update with loads of new demos you haven't seen.

I hope the majority of speedrunners understand our point of view, and those who don't can fuck off :-)
(don't take it litterally)

- The axe swinging master -

Edited by - stubby on 11/28/2001 5:50:31 AM

MorfansPosted - 28 November 2001 6:19 PST
Oh yeah. I've remembered what I was going to say now.

When we're not talking about new maps the very opposite can be true...

About a year ago I came up with a new trick which made the NH (and EH) of mexx8b much faster. I was damn proud of that trick and thought it was probably the best demo I had made at that point.

Within a few hours Optic had beaten my record. Twice. So that by the time the next update was posted mine was just a footnote and I doubt anyone in the whole world actually watched it. Whereas if there was no NPY my record would have stood for a week or so before it was destroyed and maybe a few people would have downloaded it and thought "yeah, that's a pretty cool idea".

D'ya see?

MorfansPosted - 28 November 2001 6:23 PST
And also, (I think this sums up what Ken, Tim, Stubby and me are all saying)....

When the updates were infrequent NPY was a useful thing.

With frequent updates you should just sit back, wait a while.....then enjoy.

Daniel. APosted - 28 November 2001 6:59 PST
Neil Plug 0wn You all!
KenPosted - 28 November 2001 11:33 PST
Ok.

But stop repeating "we're working hard on making frequent updates" coz I never said/meant that you guys weren't!!

But I just making a point, which I do have.. even if NPY sucks or would take the surprise away, it still has a point..

You used an example, here is another, names here ARE real, don't think any1 minds.

Remember Jozsef's phallusy in 0:28 NR? I remember "Spent 11 straight hours" .. Could you imagine if 1-2 days before that, someone (Peter, Ilkka, whoever) had done a 0:25 and it was on SDA's mailbox and everything? Wouldn't that be frustrating for Joz, in that case?

But oh well, My intention was not to bitch and whine from the beggining.. just saying I liked NPY.. but yeah, without it it's much more surprising, and cool.. I loved to read those updates with the Markus demos a few weeks back. :P Seeing them on NPY wouldn't have been as cool.

StubbyPosted - 28 November 2001 11:56 PST
I knew you couldn't resist to post another message Ken....

But basicly NPY spoils the whole fun about an update, but it's very useful if updates aren't frequent, which they ARE now :-)

So let's leave it at that shall we! NPY isn't making a return! That's it and that's that....

StefanPosted - 28 November 2001 17:33 PST
I agree with Morfans. NPY is definitely good and necessary when updates are scarce; essentially
that's the way COMPET-N manages itself (updates once in a month and an incoming directory for the time in between).
The NPY/incoming idea at SDA was raised when SDA encountered similar situations during it's existence. In the current situation with frequent updates (thanks to Stubby and Morf) NPY's advantages and disadvantages level out each other (imo), so I for one don't care and leave it to the updaters' discretion whether they like to have an NPY directory or not (after all, managing such a directory means extra effort).
Anyway, there's never a guarantee that a demo you make will remain a record until the next update, that's just a feature of being in a world of asynchronous communication, no matter how SDA is managed.
Stubby: Have you considered reducing the number of expletives in your messages? You just might end up scaring off young people who might develop into promising speedrunners :)
StefanPosted - 28 November 2001 17:37 PST
Um... sorry about the triple post. I guess that's just a feature of living in a world of crap browsers that re-post a message when you click on "Back to Forum"... gna.
StubbyPosted - 29 November 2001 4:37 PST
There you go Stefan.

And to answer your question about me: People have to read between the lines.... :-)

KenPosted - 29 November 2001 10:25 PST
Uh.. you knew I was gonna post another message? Isn't that the purpose of these boards??