Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 21 November 2001 17:55 PST
oh no, i dont mean that you should waste a lot of time everywhere and never exit a level. you still run as fast as you can, but with the following limitations:

1. no speed-increasing or route-changing methods(tricks), including GJ, RJ, bunnies, enemy boosts, wallhugging, zigzaging and so on.

2. you must run the "id-intended" route. for example, the e1m1_030, e1m2_038, e4m1_048 in qdq are legal, but e2m1_010 and e4m5_016 are illegal because although they didnt use any speed-increasing tricks, their used shortcuts.

hmm, maybe it should be called "quake done plain" or "quake done old fashioned". ya it is a crap and senseless idea, but maybe we can see what qdq would have been without tricks and optimized routes. er maybe 30 minutes. =P

MorfansPosted - 23 November 2001 1:48 PST
e1m1_030 from QdQ gets a grunt boost (unintended, I'm sure), does this count?

e2m1 just uses a normal jump but is not the Id intended route. Does this count.

Other than that I think it's quite a cool idea and wouldn't take that long to complete (relatively speaking, of course).

timPosted - 23 November 2001 3:49 PST
i'm in a bad mood so this is what i'm thinking
although a cool idea, it won't get anywhere cuz no one will be arsed doing it, but if you did the intended routes it might be interesting, using all keys given
except maybe the e2m4 gold key cuz that doesn't realllly do much
ShamblerPosted - 23 November 2001 13:56 PST
Shite idea.

http://www.planetquake.com/teamshambler - it's Quake single player, bitches.

Fr3nPosted - 23 November 2001 22:07 PST
Shite idea 2
xit_vonoPosted - 23 November 2001 22:47 PST
Ok this is a kinda cool idea, but it would be difficult to define what the normal routes are, and what counts as not using speed increasing techniques. Apparently it is possible to go faster than the normal speed just by going around corners. Maybe a patch to fix the bunnyhopping bug would make this possible.
minwaterPosted - 24 November 2001 9:24 PST
Such a patch is in RDE.

errm.. but I think that RUNNING it is one thing, but WATCHING a second, jumps, tricks and loads of difficult moves makes the runs interesting and fast to watch. If you would take all that out and do it slow, maybe the run would get boring..

sorry ..

timPosted - 24 November 2001 20:12 PST
you don't need some fancy patch to disable the cool tricks, just use bad players :)

i'm sure it could be interesting for all the ppl who complain of having bad FPS and don't do much normally :P

SnooPPosted - 25 November 2001 15:12 PST
I will have something like this done in about a month or so.
XeNoNPosted - 26 November 2001 10:08 PST
This is a bad idea for a project/competition/demo/whatever...

However its good for testing the length/layout effectiveness of SPQ levels, usually with Godmode on to prevent monsters from having a major effect. Just a little thing I try when I'm bored :P

SnooPPosted - 27 November 2001 1:48 PST
so far I have done e1m1_029 and end_033 (not tricks, just flawless play)
timPosted - 27 November 2001 16:13 PST
i'm seriously thinking about doing my own version of this now, it sounds like fun that i can do :) and maybe even a hip, doe done using the natural routes :) hehe, will have to see how it goes.
I'll start once i get my comp working again :) thats a promise