Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
Martin SelinusPosted - 13 November 2001 12:21 PST
Does a grenade actually make less damage if you bounce it on the floor/wall? normally a ogre would die of 2 grenades. but if you bounce both grenades on the wall, it doesn't die. The same thing with fiends and quadded grenades. normally it will be gibbed, but sometimes not. I think there's an example of this in a e4m3 NH.. can't remember which one though.
RadixPosted - 13 November 2001 14:20 PST
Nope, but the location you hit a monster with a grenade can increase the damage by a few if it's not right in the middle.
orbsPosted - 15 November 2001 4:05 PST
Yeah i know what you mean it happens in the sample demo by id1 on e1m3 to on the first ogre he throws 3 grenades normally this would destroy the ogre instead of killing it (and so not leaving a backpack) but it does drop a pack..
timPosted - 15 November 2001 18:04 PST
locational damage is very important when trying to gib monsters and ogres are prolly the bitchiest things to gib, besides vores ..
MorfansPosted - 19 November 2001 10:03 PST
Basil, what you say is not true, although I admit it does look like it. ;-)

This demo (demo1) bugged me for ages because it looked like the first ogre was dying after 3 gren hits. At first I thought it was probably recorded on some beta version before they'd finalised the monster strength and weapon damage, then I realised...

The first gren misses, right by where it _just_ misses it gets immediately hit by a gren from the ogre behind the bars by the armour, so it looks like a hit. Then two grens from the player and the ogre dies, then just to the right of the dying ogre the first (missed) gren explodes.

So the ogre takes OG + G + G = no gib

Simple, eh?