Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 12 November 2001 17:01 PST
1.some weapons seems to be more effective than other ones when shooting at specific monsters, can someone give a detailed list of them?
2.does the weapons in quake have random damage calculation like those in doom? for example, sometimes i can kill an ogre simply with 2 grenades but sometimes they need a few additional nails or a shotgun blast to die.
3.has anyone read the quake source codes to find out how to deal with monsters most efficiently?
4.is it possible to blow fish to bits?
timPosted - 12 November 2001 20:51 PST
1.some weapons seems to be more effective than other ones when shooting at specific monsters, can someone give a detailed list of them?

what i know of

supershotgun great for grunts and dogs and fish at a close range of course or 2 normal shells

spawns suck, fire whatever you have at them :)

if you wish to gib a fiend i believe 2 grenades, 3 shells then grenade will gib them :)

vores are about 4 grenades

shamblers are 25 normal shells or 11-12 supershotgun i think depending how good you are at shooting and dodgying

i never know about nails or cells i just fire till it stops moving

1 shotgun + supershotgun is great for enforcers, scrags and knights, and one rocket or grenade takes these out

2 grenades/rockets then 2 shells (either gun) great for deathknights

2 rockets grenades on target for ogre

explosives or anything quaded except nailgun for zombies

2.does the weapons in quake have random damage calculation like those in
doom? for example, sometimes i can kill an ogre simply with 2 grenades but sometimes they need a few additional nails or a shotgun blast to die.

i think nolan told me that grenades do slightly less than rockets, if you have ever tried gibbing monsters you will know which weapons to use against what :)

other than that if the shot is a bit off it can take less damage i think (why do ppl fire supershotgun at long rang i just dont' know)

3.has anyone read the quake source codes to find out how to deal with monsters most efficiently?

nolan will know :)

4.is it possible to blow fish to bits?

it is possible with the hipnotic pack, (this is how i will make gibbed demos for ep2-4 :) and also there is that fish.qc in bbelief i think.

KenPosted - 13 November 2001 10:39 PST
I think those bloody ogres die randomly.. They all die with 4 accurate SSG shots, but as you stated, sometimes they wont die with 2 grenades or 2 rockets and at least 1 more shell is needed to kill them.

Same with fiends, sometimes they will not die with 3 grenades..

Shamblers die soon with Shaft or SNG, they take a crapload of grenades/rockets to be killed if you're not quaded..

We live, as we dream - alone.

AttilaPosted - 13 November 2001 12:29 PST
1. All weapons hit the same on every monsters, the only exception is 'radius demage' type weapons (explosives) on shamblers: they do 50% damage on shamblers

2. The only random damage i know of is the rocket damage if you HIT something directly, it damages 100-120 on the monster you HIT. But grenades/rockets do 120 'radius damage' on the surrounding area (actual damage depends on how far the target is from the explosion)