Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
KenPosted - 6 November 2001 22:08 PST
I've been talking to a friend lately and he was complaining about problems with his vid card and gettnig low fps.. then I told him what I get and he said that with that amount I wouldnt even be able to do the e1m3 GJ (well I've done it, doh) and many other tricks...

I first began to worry on the 100m (not 110m) map, I just couldn't believe how slow I was over there.. 11.7? The weird thing was, even if I used a rocket jump and followed with bunnies, I'd INSTANTLY lose all the speed!!!

I use vid_mode 11 and when I do "timedemo demo2" I get like 40 fps or something.. is this normal? Does it slow me down? Is this why I find the e3m1 slope jump impossible to perform? Or why I was losing the speed so badlt on 100m? I have a Riva TNT2 Ultra, P3-500 and 128 ram, I know it's not much but shouldn't it be faster than this? .. On vid_mode 0 I get 70fps on timedemo demo2, but I cant play there, it runs too fast..

So, is there something I can actually do to increase the damned fps?

We live, as we dream - alone.

KenPosted - 6 November 2001 22:26 PST
Just now I tried some 100m (once again, not 110m, the old 100 which Valeryi won), and I did it looking down.. pretty uncomfortable, but I tried bunniying looking down.. the way I tried the current rotw earlier today. Surprisingly, in my very FIRST attemp I got 11.54 .. that is faster than my 11.7 from what I got in that rotw back then, and I tried some time then.. I'm not saying I'm great, I know I suck, but I think this FPS matter has been stopping me from making faster demos on certain maps like 100m and 110m. Damn! :( If any1 has a solution or suggestion, feel free to tell me, please.

MorfansPosted - 8 November 2001 1:34 PST
Ken, two things.

i) This post should be in the "technical" section, not the "general discussion" section.

ii) I have the same video card and a slightly slower PC (but with lots more memory). I have no idea what my FPS is as I have never tried to find out but I too experience the same problem with trying to preserve horizontal speed following a boost. However, I put this down to my playing technique rather than anything to do with the machine. (See the post that I'm about to write in the proper forum for further details).

timPosted - 8 November 2001 1:55 PST
my computer is roughly the same
and i lose speed cuz i'm crap .. i know how to keep it but it seems so unnatural the key combos and stuff, so subconciously i dont' do it.
this is why i'll have a crap time for skill 1 rotw :)
NagasakiPosted - 8 November 2001 4:02 PST
I was using a Celeron 300 and a TNT1 card until June. Now that I've got a GF2 my fps in Quake didn't increase at all, mainly because they were incredibly high already (so high that it doesnt matter anymore wether they increased by 50 or something)

There was that 70 fps border in Quake anyways, wasn't it?

[AK]NagasakeY 2001
http://www.PlanetQuake.com/Illmind/

NagasakiPosted - 8 November 2001 4:03 PST
border = limit

[AK]NagasakeY 2001
http://www.PlanetQuake.com/Illmind/

HanzPosted - 8 November 2001 7:33 PST
>There was that 70 fps border in Quake anyways, wasn't it?

Nah, I get 250 fps in timedemo1. And it still matters to get more fps even when they're that high. Nagasaki, I think you have vertical sync enabled from your drivers so that 70 fps is your maximum on any OpenGL program. Just go to "adjust diaply properties"->"settings"->"advanced"->"geforce 2"->"additional properties"->"opengl settings" and select "vertical sync" to "always off". You should be able to get *much* better FPS with GF2 than TNT1.

JessePosted - 8 November 2001 7:56 PST
Timedemo 1 is different. Using normal settings (the ones you are supposed to use when your recording speedruns) you can get a max amount of 72 frames a second, no more. However, changing these settings (for example, host_framerate), will result in a much higher fps.
KenPosted - 8 November 2001 10:41 PST
Morfans, well u cant preserve it anywehre?

Coz I certainly can, at least somt of it, in most maps.. but maps like 100m and 110m.. Oh boy, I do a Rboost and the next bunny is nearly the same as one without the boost!! That's unplayable, I think for the skill 1 run in the contest I will just skip the RL and I'll be faster than with it! Can u believe that? That's how unplayable it is.. :(

And.. uhh ... sorry for making this in the WRONG forum. Techinical, technical.. ok I got it.

RobertPosted - 8 November 2001 11:43 PST
Ken are u using
vid_wait 1 ??
Lower the resolution and use
vid_wait 1
Then your machine will run well as hell =)
HanzPosted - 8 November 2001 11:47 PST
Jesse, I just recorded a demo in the 110m map with GLQuake and no special settings (but used qdqstats of course). Then I used "timedemo 110m" and it said 150 FPS. That 72 FPS is probably your monitor's refresh rate and you have also enabled vertical sync..
RadixPosted - 8 November 2001 12:39 PST
72 fps is the max that an unmodified exe gives you during play.

end of story...

HanzPosted - 8 November 2001 13:56 PST
>72 fps is the max that an unmodified exe gives you during play.

I think DOS Quake counts as unmodified as it gets. And I get ~180 FPS while using it. ID's official GlQuake v0.97 gives ~250 FPS.

Plus, when running straight forwards to the goal in 100m.bsp, there is a difference in times when you run with ~100 FPS (high resolution) compared to 300 FPS (low resolution). Not a big difference, but measurable.

So even framerates over 80 do matter on running speed.

Max ReboPosted - 8 November 2001 21:15 PST
Look, while playing you can get a maximum of 72 fps, timedemo is completely different. The difference you are seeing is not maintaining 72 fps at all times. Especially in crappy maps as 100m and 110m where your framerate is shot to hell.
timPosted - 9 November 2001 1:32 PST
i hope attila doesn't feel bad with people calling his maps crappy, i dont' think they are crappy, there is something about the way he mixes in those coloured textures that make them a breath of fresh air. and also timedemo and playing are different, accept it and is this vid_wait thing really good eh? i'll have to try it
MorfansPosted - 9 November 2001 1:58 PST
Just to clarify, the FPS situation as I understand it. (People keep saying timedemo is different but don't say _why_ it's different).

When you play/record it is at a max of 72 FPS.

When you timedemo it plays back your 72 FPS recording as fast as your machine can handle it. Thus if your PC can handle 144 FPS it plays the demo back at twice the speed it was recorded, making it look like a Joszef demo rather than one of mine. :-) But it is still a 72 (max) FPS demo.

Anybody disagree?

Topic is 3 Pages Long:    1 2 3