Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 4 November 2001 4:53 PST
how about make a doom(doom2) done quick built? i would like to see a theoretically fastest run through the whole game.
StefanPosted - 5 November 2001 1:42 PST
Well, why don't you check out DdQr or D2dQ at the QdQ site? Or the runs at TAS? (www.doomworld.com/tas, may also be at Opulent's now)
-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 5 November 2001 2:20 PST
hmm, surely i have checked them all out long before, and ddqr really rocks. however d2dq is quite out of date, far from optimized. when i asked AdamH if there will be a d2dqr, he said there are too few people willing to do it because it is too hard. the TAS runs are also out of date(slower than ddqr). since there won't be another new movie of doom runs, i would like to see a "theoretically fastest and optimized" built run then, is it easier to make?
xit_vonoPosted - 5 November 2001 10:36 PST
check out Marijo's 30uv1617. It isn't optimized like a built demo, but he put a lot of effort into it.
AdamWPosted - 5 November 2001 14:54 PST
The problem with D2DQR is basically that no-one who'd be involved with it wants to make it anything less than the best possible. It'd be dead easy to knock up a run that takes one or two minutes out of the current time, but no-one wants to do that, really. And making a D2DQR that reaches all the times we'd really want to reach would be very, very hard and require lots of effort and people, and possibly some people it's hard to get hold of - there's some runs that are more or less specialities, e.g. MAP24 and Marijo Sedlic and that's just for one. Even DDQR, which was technically a rather simpler pack to make, was a fairly tough job and took quite a long time to make. I wouldn't say there'll never be a D2DQR, but it doesn't like likely in the near future. As for TAS/built runs, yes, 30uv1617 is particularly recommended, it's a very high quality demo. You could only make a significant improvement on it by building a demo, really. Dunno if anyone's planning on an equivalent for Doom1...

--
adamw

Adam HegyiPosted - 5 November 2001 15:14 PST
Building demos for DOOM is a VERY meticulous task and takes much more time than simple speedrunning. Also people who build demos feel obliged to optimize it till the very last millisecond (when you have such power in your hands you shouldn't do crap stuff).
For me it's no surprise that there's only a handful of built demos around with the longest one standing at 0:41.

Marijo Sedlic's 30uv1617 is the closest to perfection at the moment, although there have been new tricks being discovered since.