Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 30 October 2001 21:26 PST
and what is the newest version? where can i find it?
minwaterPosted - 31 October 2001 2:52 PST
I work with some crapy beta..
0.93 I believe.. I don't care about newer versions.. this one works fine.. (that's dutch attitude =])
Martin SelinusPosted - 31 October 2001 10:51 PST
I have 0.98 which I think is the newest one.
It's even possible to change fov in it :)

/ Martin

RadixPosted - 31 October 2001 15:01 PST
Certain fov values mess it up though. Try fov 105.
minwaterPosted - 1 November 2001 3:17 PST
oh.. I meant version .98 also.
I ALWAYS play at fov 115... really sick.. When I played DM that was normal.. and fov 100 is to slow for me somehow. (115's to fast, I denie that =])
orbsPosted - 5 November 2001 7:18 PST
I dont agree on you minwater
1st 90% of the dutch multiplayer quakers play modified (i call that cheating) having bright mdls or even shining ones ( like the mdl of a player with quad) use spikemodels scriptings etc etc

2nd a high fov just makes it look like you go faster but in fact i find that i'mm faster with fov's between 90 and 110 but this only tthe case with speedrunning, with dm or something a higher fov i preferable ( i play ctf with 120 130 or 140) becuase you will have lesser stickups more view and a lot of players find it easier to aim with high fov's but i think thats just believe

don't say dutch pple settle for any quake..for as far as i know only sweeds modify edit script more then dutch ppl

( this all applies to the dutch q1 scene asfar as i know it)

minwaterPosted - 5 November 2001 10:13 PST
orbs:
you confuse 2 things. Cheating/scripting and modifying.. I modified almost every option there is in quake without cheating. For either a lower or a higher fps. I agree that changing lighting etc. is cheating in DM. But in speedrunning other rules apply, how many'people don't play with fullbright etc.
And with that, what is cheating? I believe ALL client settings (without changing grafix) must be allowed to be changed. (Maybe an exeption or two not).

And about the FOV. You are right, speedrunning can be done best around fov 100. But since I played QW a lot, I changed my fov. I got used to it. and I can't play on 100 anymore..

amrikPosted - 5 November 2001 11:26 PST
fov 90 is fine fine fine. any higher and it feels I'm up on tequila :). Also, higher fovs decrease framerate (you see more stuff, d'oh), so you get slower bunnies.

- Amrik
amrikkochhar@hotmail.com

MorfansPosted - 5 November 2001 15:26 PST
I might have to try that. But I doubt there's anything that can make _my_ bunnys slower. :-)
lodisPosted - 12 November 2001 6:49 PST
I use fov 120...that way everything seems to be going really fast and I can pretend I'm a proper speedrunner :)
-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 12 November 2001 16:45 PST
shake hands lodis, i m such a crap runner(because i m mainly a quake2 trickjumper =) that i can only make some dumb demos such as e1m1_029, e1m2_039, e1m3_036, e2m1_009(all NR). i use fov 120 in both quake2 and quake, but i admit it is disadvantageous for aiming. =/

btw does anyone know if it is possible to stop the game from showing the gun in glquake?

StubbyPosted - 12 November 2001 23:25 PST
r_drawviewmodel 1

- The axe swinging master -

minwaterPosted - 13 November 2001 5:13 PST
I use winquake for running.. but only shows the gun with fov 90.. I'm trying to play at fov 100 again.. but it sucks not seeing a gun.. (think). sollution anyone ?
-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 13 November 2001 5:50 PST
i m afraid that it is impossible to see the gun with >90 fov, at least in dos quake or winquake, the same thing also happens in quake2, but you can see gun with >90 fov in glquake or quake3. =/
minwaterPosted - 13 November 2001 10:46 PST
well.. isn't that bummer! =]
JozsefPosted - 14 November 2001 3:55 PST
I dont think >90 fov means advantage for bunnies or anything. It's good for DM, but for SP... I use only 90 and satisfied with it very much. But this is only my humble opinion...
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2