Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
KenPosted - 30 October 2001 10:37 PST
All the latest maps are like those HUGE CZG maps with a million monsters.. (well I played one it wasnt bad).. But take a look at the new maps added, they all look so big, what happened to 20-30 seconds runs? (Hope someone doesnt come up with a run that fast or I'll be screwed) .. What happened to 100% demos under a minute? (Ok that's definitely not possible in any of those maps!) .. What's the smallest amount of monsters any of those maps have on easy skill? 59? it's a lot. e1m1 anyone? :P 10 little monsters. Heh, ok that's exaggerated, but between 10 and 60 there is a big difference.

In my opinion (in case anyone is interested) the coolest maps are the ones where u get the guns right away, so u can start fragging the entire run, and it's action-packed. I hate it when u have to survive and it's hard as hell. :P But that's me anyways. I hope some guys make some elite demos.. and I hope once in a while a smaller map is added. =)

We live, as we dream - alone.

MorfansPosted - 30 October 2001 11:38 PST
1) Find a small map that you like.

2) Mail us at the usual address.

3) Wait.

timPosted - 30 October 2001 12:14 PST
looking over your sheet ken i see a lack of any demos over 2 minutes, and on those small maps someone makes a good demo then there aren't many improvements and then ppl dont' play that map much.

i suggest you

1) Try to increase your concentration span to at least 3 minutes for a demo :)

2) Try making some small maps? You would get exactly what you want and then maybe shambler could write reviews and trash them :) .. however you would have been able to make the first demos on the map

StubbyPosted - 30 October 2001 15:02 PST
Ken, you should've read Richard's update a little more thoroughly. It said: "we have the first batch of new maps....", and oddly enough that means that there will be a _second_ batch of new maps soon :-)
And I would be surprised if the new batch didn't contain at least one small map....

- The axe swinging master -

Edited by - Stubby on 10/30/2001 3:05:24 PM

ShamblerPosted - 31 October 2001 8:04 PST
The problem being that there aren't many small maps that are 1. Good and 2. Interesting to run (e.g. Tiddles maps fit into the former but not the latter). Mappers have got better and generally build bigger better maps, not much SDA can do about that.

http://www.planetquake.com/teamshambler - it's Quake single player, bitches.

Fr3nPosted - 31 October 2001 9:14 PST
I get much more enjoyment out of watching a run on a "large" map (like e1m3 or e2m5, to stick with iD maps) than on a "small" map (e2m1) and though I don't run very often (or well) I get the feeling that they're more satisfying to make as well. I suppose some of the latest maps might be unnecessarily long, but not by much. I think "e1m3-or-slightly-larger" is the ideal size for a map. It would suck if every new map were like the alpha project or the first coagula, able to be conquered in single digits.
KenPosted - 31 October 2001 10:41 PST
Ok I get what u all mean.

Well dont get me wrong people, my idea of a small map isn't one that can be ran in 7 seconds (case of e2m1), but also not something close to a minute. (the RUNs at least)

And Shambler, how come none is interesting to run? Damn. Tell me, what does one of the new maps, lets sat TFL, has that makes it interesting, that the small maps u've seen don't have?

We live, as we dream - alone.

ShamblerPosted - 31 October 2001 14:40 PST
"Tell me, what does one of the new maps, lets sat TFL, has that makes it interesting, that the small maps u've seen don't have?"

Tricks & shortcuts.

http://www.planetquake.com/teamshambler - it's Quake single player, bitches.

timPosted - 31 October 2001 18:28 PST
"I get the feeling that they're more satisfying to make as well." (talking about long demos ..
well if your ever tried to do any ALL of demo (15+ levels) then once you get to the end knowing there weren't any big mistakes and all the nice monsters stepped out the way .. then that is one of the most satisfying things i've done. .. even more satisfying when you know EVERY monster got wasted on the way :)