Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
xit_vonoPosted - 24 October 2001 17:10 PST
I saw a page somewhere that said that to do a bunny hop you walk forward and just before you jump, you strafe, but it seems that the best players use some more advanced techniques. What are those techniques.
minwaterPosted - 25 October 2001 5:17 PST
Lately there was another discussion going on about this and there was an url mentioned about a demo by Ilkka that showed how to bunny.

forward-strafeleft (or right)-jump
and if you let go of forward and steer in the good direction during the jump I find you go faster even still. Just like in e2m1 demos. But you should download that demo from Ilkka

xit_vonoPosted - 25 October 2001 9:59 PST
ok but that's not all. I've seen some crazy stuff where players can change direction in the air. For example e3m1. There's no way you can do that jump with the tricks just mentioned above.
StubbyPosted - 25 October 2001 10:35 PST
What kind of trick are you talking about on e3m1? The jump to the 'window'?
If that's the jump, then you just need some practise to perform it correct.

- The axe swinging master -

Edited by - Stubby on 10/25/2001 12:15:26 PM

MorfansPosted - 25 October 2001 14:32 PST
As regards what is affectionately termed "air control" you need to use your forward key and mouse while in the air.

The easiest way to see the effect is to find a big open area, use god and imp 9, and just blast yourself all over the place trying different key/mouse combinations until you get the idea.

Then apply exactly the same theory to bunnies, remembering to take your finger off the forward key once you have finished your air control.

Then, as Stubby says, practice. 50-100 hours would be a good start :-).

willPosted - 25 October 2001 16:05 PST
actually Rich, maybe I misunderstand, I'm certainly no expert on bunnying, but surely you should keep your finger off the forward key when you're bunnying, only reapplying when you land each time?
StubbyPosted - 25 October 2001 23:21 PST
Yeah, you're right Will :-)

Use the strafe keys and the mouse while moving in air.

- The axe swinging master -

MorfansPosted - 29 October 2001 0:33 PST
Really? That explains why I suck so much. :-)

But I always found that to do the really tight air control tricks (more than, say 180 degrees) was only acheivable with the forward (or back) key pressed. You lose some speed but you can do whole spirals.

minwaterPosted - 29 October 2001 1:54 PST
I have no clue how I do them, I just do.
well..... try.. =]
xit_vonoPosted - 29 October 2001 16:30 PST
Thanks for the help. I managed to do the jump on e4m3 at the beginning, which I think is pretty cool.
KenPosted - 30 October 2001 10:13 PST
The slope one or the long one over that room?

We live, as we dream - alone.

xit_vonoPosted - 30 October 2001 13:00 PST
the slope one
KenPosted - 31 October 2001 10:28 PST
I dont think u need to know how to bunny to make that slope one... Heh.

We live, as we dream - alone.

orbsPosted - 6 November 2001 2:50 PST
for the e4m3 it's quite nice to pick a resolution that makes yoyu able to nostep up that slope.. for e3m1 dunno just think for a couple of years that it's imposssible and insane hard then just happen to do it at some point ( ofcourse thne totally fuck up on those easy mosnters to get a ugly time above 30) but dont worry spend another 50 hours and you''l get it agin this time with a decent exit