Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
Fr3nPosted - 21 October 2001 12:36 PST
I've seen Jozsef run my perssp maps, Carl-Johan run the slide maps at zipfield, and Hanz mention a few difficult tricks in SM32. I'm going to hazard a guess that many other frequent runners here also prefer run new custom maps just to sharpen their skills even if they won't be added to the tables. So I was just wondering, does anyone out there keep a collection of their runs on unlisted maps?

Also, is there a specific set of criteria for adding a map to the tables? The parts of the FAQ/SiteInfo dealing with this don't seem to set anything down. :)

~Fr3n

ShamblerPosted - 21 October 2001 14:09 PST
"So I was just wondering, does anyone out there keep a collection of their runs on unlisted maps?"

Yeah, me! =).

I think maps are added at SDA's discretion, if/when the SDA staff decide they need/want more maps. There's no real criteria, it just depends what maps are around at the time.

http://www.planetquake.com/teamshambler - it's Quake single player, bitches.

Edited by - Shambler on 10/22/2001 10:32:05 AM

KenPosted - 22 October 2001 7:16 PST
I have always dreamed with an update that contains about 20 new maps... wouldn't that be cool? :)

We live, as we dream - alone.

JozsefPosted - 22 October 2001 9:42 PST
Adding Perssp2 would be more than a great idea! There are many kewl tricks are possible on that map even both on easy and on nightmare skill. It's even great a map for 100% demos, too.
StefanPosted - 23 October 2001 2:48 PST
I usually add speedruns on unlisted maps to my own copy of history.txt if they are made public somewhere outside of SDA. My copy is at <http://www7.in.tum.de/~schwoon/sda/history.txt> (it doesn't have the latest speedruns on the SM levels yet).
HanzPosted - 24 October 2001 11:50 PST
LOL lots of my SM runs there. I also have runs for all 100brush contest #1 and #2 maps :). I wish they added much more maps to SDA....

APSP was cool to run too, but it'd need an updated progs.dat to work I think :p

amrikPosted - 24 October 2001 12:12 PST
yes, I remember looking through history.txt and saw lthsp2 or something and Shambler had a 0:12. I never saw that map in the tables but it was here. Maybe it could be added just by removing the "**".

- Amrik
amrikkochhar@hotmail.com

StubbyPosted - 24 October 2001 12:53 PST
Part of the reason why we don't add those maps to SDA, is because it sucks huge elefant butt that you guys already has done the speedruns on those particular maps. I know we've added maps along with Shambler's speeddemos blah blah blah, but I think you get my point. If you don't, then you're either fucking stupid or one of those guys who just won't listen to what we say at SDA......

- The axe swinging master -

Fr3nPosted - 24 October 2001 13:06 PST
Stubby, I understand what you're saying, but what would the alternative method of adding levels be if you can't do it because someone has already recorded runs?
StubbyPosted - 24 October 2001 13:33 PST
Aaaaargh, you missed the whole point! I didn't say anything about that we _can't_ add maps on which there has already been preduced speedruns....

StefanPosted - 25 October 2001 3:05 PST
Forgive me, Stubby, but I didn't get your point here, too... I'm definitely not in favour of adding all the Speedmapping maps, but a couple of them are nice for runs, especially 100%s (and yes, I've been doing them lately, but you know they're improvable anyway :)
ShamblerPosted - 25 October 2001 5:00 PST
"Part of the reason why we don't add those maps to SDA, is because it sucks huge elefant butt that you guys already has done the speedruns on those particular maps. I know we've added maps along with Shambler's speeddemos blah blah blah, but I think you get my point."

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM. It looks like the point you're making is: "Shambler's demos suck ass, so it's okay adding those maps as there will be lots of improvements" hehe!!

http://www.planetquake.com/teamshambler - it's Quake single player, bitches.

Edited by - Shambler on 10/25/2001 5:07:47 AM

StubbyPosted - 25 October 2001 6:28 PST
I just KNEW you people would start a rampage about what I said!! It's not so fucking complicated. Let me explain even further:

Basicly all I said was that it sucks when those 'skilled' runners do the demos in advance, then there's no room for the lesser skilled speedrunners to even have a chance on those maps.

The whole point of adding those maps is that people will be given a chance to compete and that's kinda hard to do when the demos has been done before the map is added to SDA.

And yes Shambler/Stefan, your demos are beatable, but just imagine if someone like Markus started doing runs on the unlisted maps, then there would only be a minor chance that someone could beat those demos.

But apparently the majority of speedrunners don't give a shit really, they just bitch bitch bitch whenever they get a chance.

So shut the fuck up unless you have constructive critism....

(yes, I'm pissed in case you couldn't tell!)

Edited by - Stubby on 10/25/2001 9:47:59 AM

HanzPosted - 25 October 2001 7:44 PST
Hey I'm not a very good runner so you could easily add those SM maps :D. But on the other hand, the maps aren't of that good quality either..

Anyway, I bet Shambie's plaza has dozens of maps no one has really bothered to run.

orbsPosted - 25 October 2001 9:23 PST
I ran all the sm maps all the 100brush all that's on shambler all that's on ftp.cdrom

and some more (ok i overexegurate (speeled right?)a bit) I knew Hanz did aswell damn he ownz me on most of them :) and i spended this week evening on making Twelve_029 Twelve_006 and first_009 first_008
and had good fun on that, i dont care that they are not listed maybe even never be listed anywhere att all, but i do care about maps i would have never found if they wouldnt be hosted on either sda, TS, ftp.cdrom or whereever, I do care that i know bout some friggen hard tricks to be done on certain maps ,i care about some of those nice lines etc etc
thats reason 1 why i say update all maps that are known to mankind on sda :)
reason 2 is ehmm don't realy remember the name of the map of the last mapupdate but about every runner around submitted a 0.09
and just 2 guys managed (nightmare was Anderson i believe) 0:08 even with two different routes i even felt sorry that i couldnt dl all the submissions just because the fact that someoneelse happened to submit his demo an hour later

Stubbys argument (..imagine marcus...) wasnt that real nice smooth run of marcus on e4m4 just broken? ok you'd never could stubby but that cuz you cant leave while there still some critters alive.
Personally I would love it when someone would post a prerecorded demo of some years old..almost anyone becomes better over the years (if he would post a shitload of prerecorded demos it would kinda be lame

2nd it looks to me like the toprunners care more about 1 id1-record then a 100 custom-recs.
Would optic ever have had that many recs without customs?(ok there not 800 maps on id1:)but still)
So what is my point? My point is that i never !heard/read! an argument to not add maps to sda on wich i agree.
To ugly:if the run/demo is nice to watch i dont care at all
To easy:do it quicker then:)
To modified:hmm this could be an argument if it changes the game so much it wouldnt have much to do withquake
To short:Ok there's no point in updating those maps wich you can exit within 5 secs cuz they will be optimised straight away
To much trouble:dunno how much trouble it is to add a map to the table + receiving the next days shitloads of demos cant judge this

I'm not bugging anyone to addd maps...but he can pull his pants down already now if he does, i'll be real greatfull..a mouth full great!
3rd ehmm last i think aslong most off the community would like to see "new" maps listed
why not? we do this for fun don't we? I do..even though i spended about 6 hours this week to get that stupid twelve_006 ( geuss 5 could be done even :( )
:)

Basil

Ps talking about not listed maps I think I own the record on deadsimple instead off ilkka cu z i dont think that the version that sda hosts is the final version of that map but a betaversion, the version i have that endtrigger is enclosed by some walls that will move down if you kill all the monsters i geuss, or ogregrenade into it

time to shut op basil! ok ok cheers!

StubbyPosted - 25 October 2001 9:44 PST
"Stubbys argument (..imagine marcus...) wasnt that real nice smooth run of marcus on e4m4 just broken? ok you'd never could stubby but that cuz you cant leave while there still some critters alive."

WTF!!!!! Can't you read or are you just not capable of reading proper english????

Take a look at this line again:
"but just imagine if someone like Markus started doing runs on the unlisted maps, then there would only be a minor chance that someone could beat those demos"

What does a minor chance mean? It means that there _is_ a posibility that someone can beat Markus' records!

Edited by - Stubby on 10/25/2001 9:52:35 AM

Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2