Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
SnooPPosted - 2 October 2001 6:27 PST
I have a problem. on e2m2, whenever I only shoot only one button and then jump over, when I run into the trigger, quake freezes.

I also have a suggestion for qdqstats. An option to set starting coordinates to any point on the map would be useful to practice tricks near the end of a map like the e4m2 bunny etc. My idea of implemention is to run to the spot you want to start to, then set that spot as the starting coordinates with a command of some discription. Then if you kill yourself, the map reloads, only you start their instead of the start of the map.

StubbyPosted - 2 October 2001 8:09 PST
I think that's a great idea.

- The axe swinging master -

MorfansPosted - 2 October 2001 10:11 PST
That is soooooo spooky.

I always shoot both switches coz my bunnies suck. (To be honest, I've never really tried that one because I've always thought it's tat little bit too far for me to hit with any regularity and shooting the other button takes about 0.1 second)

On Saturday I was messing around doing an ER marathon. I was talking to my wife at the same time and got distracted after I shot the first button. When I looked up I was right at the edge and the fiend had leapt past me and without thinking I bunnied all the way across... and Quake hung when I was just inside the door. (With a thick horizontal band across the screen). Dunno if it will happen again as I haven't had time to try but don't worry Snoop, you're not alone.

RadixPosted - 2 October 2001 13:19 PST
I've seen quake crash on e2m2 with only one button as well. It *crashes* not hangs.... but. As far as I can tell its an error in the engine

As for the starting anywhere.... its called using a save game!

timPosted - 2 October 2001 15:13 PST
i agree with nolan go to the bit on e4m2 and press "f6" to quicksave or if you changed the key use another, so you jump, fail, quickload, fail, quickload fail, etc i always do that to practise tricks i can't do :)
willPosted - 2 October 2001 16:22 PST
It only happens on skill0, and no-one knows why it happens. It crashes when you hit the trigger which activates the other switch (i guess id knew it was possible to jump over). Maybe one way to fix it would be to manually spawn a different trigger somehow...
amrikPosted - 17 October 2001 14:53 PST
This was back when I first tried bunnying over the gap. I saw it in qdqwav and thought i could do it. I normally speedrun in easy skill and my machine kept dying. I eventually figured it out. It only works on skill3.

btw it was happening to jozsef too, and I had to tell him that :)

- Amrik
amrikkochhar@hotmail.com

amrikPosted - 17 October 2001 14:58 PST
Snoop, if you want the bind to record demos when playing from savegames, I use this:

bind space "map;record demoname mapname;load savegamename"

The initial 'map' is to kill quake server, so that record command works.

- Amrik
amrikkochhar@hotmail.com

KenPosted - 17 October 2001 15:22 PST
To practise a trick, I type "god" and "impulse 9" in the console, and if I miss, I RJ back there and try again. :P

We live, as we dream - alone.