Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 30 September 2001 1:06 PST
hello guyz at SDA and QDQ, this is a quaker from China, and it is me the lamer that took the 7th place in the 100m run contest at SDA months before. my major is quake2 trickjumping and my skill of quake speedrunning sucks, however i like watching the speedrunning demos very much, and i have watched almost all speedrunning movies(qdq, qdqr, qrdq, qdqwav, qrdqII, qd100q, qd100qr, qdql, trr, q2dq2, ddq, ddqr, d2dq...) and the SDA records for many times. i hope to see something that can be called "quake done quickest", so i can't help airing my opinions on what shall be improved, although i think i would never be able to realize them or beat any record at SDA or QDQ with my sucking skills.

e2m2: quite a long run, and the bunnies don't look fast enough, so maybe a second or two can be squeezed.

e2m4: although ingmar's new route rulez, there are still some rooms for improvement(and he said he was just too lazy to improve it further), espcially a loss at the end, so i think 0:46 should be possible. another reason that e2m4 shall be rerun is: if you simply connect ingmar's e2m4_048 and e2m5_037 to qdqwav, you will eventually be killed in e2m5(right after the cage blocking)! and i know e2m5_037 is much harder to make, so e2m4 has to be remade ending with more health and armor(5 more, i think).

e3m2: why not grenade jump out of the pit at the end? health should not be a problem because atilla had more than 90 health in the pit in qdqwav.

e3m5: another level with a lot of bunnies, maybe one can bunny from a grenade jump to save some time but it is a problem how to have enough health to do that.

e4m3: why martin's 0:39 is not mentioned on the QDQ site? and i think 0:38 may be possible because martin's time is 39.4.

e4m4: markus could run it from scratch(using a fiend push instead of the grenade jump at the start) in 22.4, so why not try to squeeze it down to 0:21 in qdqwav?

last of all, please dont blame me if you think my ideas are lame or you already had them. ;->

what is markus doing now? he is my most respected speedrunner, together with peter, yonatan and perkele, but recently jozsef is catching up with him. however, maybe things would be better if markus is still active... ;-)

HanzPosted - 30 September 2001 1:41 PST
You forgot to mention that e2m3 could definitely be 0:17.xx if the player didn't hit on that hellknight near end. But I'm sure they tried it hundreds of times because the current time is 0:18.1x
-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 30 September 2001 1:50 PST
yes, i also thought e2m3 in 0:17 is possible before, but i have just seen a e2m3_016 by jozsef on the QDQ page yesterday!!! so i would have been bullsh1tting if i said that we should squeeze e2m3 down to 0:17. ;-P

btw: he saved the time by using a grenade jump from the ogre blocking a door(after the hell knight), and then bunnied all the way till the zombie with the extra speed!

Edited by - -SCUT-OpenGL on 9/30/2001 1:51:04 AM

messiahPosted - 30 September 2001 1:51 PST
Jozsef have done e2m3 in :16!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and e4m4 in :21!!!!!
-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 30 September 2001 1:53 PST
my god! is there?

markus, show up quickly if you dont want to be forgotten by everyone!... ;-P

ShamblerPosted - 30 September 2001 1:55 PST
POST THIS IN EITHER THE QDQ PROJECTS SECTION OR THE RUN IMPROVEMENTS SECTION. WE MADE THOSE SECTIONS JUST FOR TOPICS LIKE THIS!

http://www.planetquake.com/teamshambler - it's Quake single player, bitches.

HanzPosted - 30 September 2001 1:56 PST
Ok I just downloaded that demo. Pretty cool! :)
-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 30 September 2001 2:09 PST
yes Mr Shambler, i m very sorry for my tistake, but it was because there are too few articles in those sections and almost 100 here, so i m afraid that no one would see my little article if i post it there.
NagasakiPosted - 30 September 2001 5:01 PST
It's nice to see you think about QdQwav, but Shambler is absolutely right. 100 posts is no excuse, sorry.

With Jozsef's new :16 e2m5 won't fir anymore, I think you are right there - but e2m4 is also helluvash1t to do quicker. Have you ever wondered why we don't do the times you are suggesting? Thought about beeing very hard? It's not that much about energy and time, on Nightmare it's also a luck- and endurance-question.

And Markus has quit speedrunning a while ago, incase you haven't noticed.

Sorry I'm rude, but I'm having a bad hangover unfortunately.

[AK]NagasakeY 2001
http://www.PlanetQuake.com/Illmind/

ShamblerPosted - 30 September 2001 7:20 PST
Hey Nagasaki, did you notice Scutty saying he does Q2 trick moves....get him involved with Illmind too, yeah??

http://www.planetquake.com/teamshambler - it's Quake single player, bitches.

JozsefPosted - 30 September 2001 7:31 PST
wowowo... slow down, men!!
What the hell is that e2m5 wont fit becoz of my :16?? It cant be health problem. May I used too many rockets, or...???
And btw, on e3m2 the Grenadejump out from the pit is NOT really possible, maybe just for a devil (hmmm =), and even that double-zombie-gib trick is hard as ****! So Attila's :20 is really a NICE demo, so we can say only "Thanks a lot, Atti!"
-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 30 September 2001 9:57 PST
Joe, why do ya say that the e3m2 grenade jump is impossible? if you insist on that, maybe Mr Peter Horvath would kill you for judging him cheating in his e3m2_er_014. =(

well, i can understand how hard the zombie jump can be, but i think :19 is really something possible and is not much different from :20 except the grenade jump.

and about the e2m5 health problem, it was because ingmar started e2m4 with some green armor which you won't have in qdqwav, and then lost some armor from the first grenade jump(16, i think), that means you would have 16 less health in qdqwav than in qrdq, eventually leading to the death right after the cage blocking in e2m5 when ingmar has 14 health in qrdq.

Edited by - -SCUT-OpenGL on 9/30/2001 10:00:39 AM

Peter HorvathPosted - 30 September 2001 13:10 PST
The e3m2 zombie jump is very hard indeed, but maybe the 'lucky' is a better word to describe.
I was trying it for half an hour without any success, and I know that the GJ off the pit is a way harder than in easy skill because of that nasty Shambler. (not to mention the fiend nearby)
JozsefPosted - 30 September 2001 13:18 PST
Nonono! I only said it's very-very hard (almost impossible) on NIGHTMARE skill! Trust me, man! I tried it lotsa times but I didnt succeed. If you even manage to jump out from the pit (which is very hard, coz either the shambler could kill you during flight or those stupid scrags blocks your way) the ogre can kill you easily. Dont forget that ogres much more aggressive on skill 3!
And about e2m4: dont worry, it'll be improved with stats that will fit for the e2m3_016. I promise!
-SCUT-OpenGLPosted - 30 September 2001 16:48 PST
er i am sorry, i have underestimated the difficulty of that grenade jump, and i wouldnt have urged you to do that if i had thought of it. =\

about e2m4 and e2m5, i think they have actually never been fit with qdqwav, no matter with e2m3_018 or e2m3_016. do i have to explain again? in qrdq ingmar start e2m4 with 50 health and 58 green armor, and in qdqwav you start with nothing but 50 health(same with both e2m3 demos), that difference makes it although ingmar can survive in qrdq, we won't live through e2m5 in qdqwav.

in other words, ingmar started e2m5 with health+armor=92, and the lowest health in his demo is 14, that means if you want to use this demo you must leave e2m4 with health+armor>78. unfortunately, if you connect e2m4_048 to either e2m3_018 or e2m3_016, i think it would exit with health+armor=76. =(

JozsefPosted - 1 October 2001 0:41 PST
Heheh :)
That's pretty messy, but Ingmar told me he would like to improve that :48 e2m4. We hope you'll seccussful, Naga! :)
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2