Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
StubbyPosted - 29 September 2001 10:32 PST
In my opinion the biggest speedrunning legend of all time is Yonatan Donner.
His skills were unsurpassed back in the old days when Quake speedrunning started to evolve. His contributions to the QdQ productions is also legendary.

But the greatest speedrunner of all time simply has to be the devil himself.....Mr. Peter Horvath! He's the perfect example of a complete speedrunner. He has no flaws, at least non that I have spotted :)

But the two I admire the most, not because of their speedrunning skills (sorry Pug & Stef =), but merely because of the tremendous efforts and commitments they have done to the speedrunning community, is Nolan Pflug and Stefan Schwoon....hail to thee!

And of course a big salute to Ilkka for his bunny pioneering.

Thomas Stubgaard

JozsefPosted - 29 September 2001 10:55 PST
Asolutely true, Thomas!
Peter simply cannot make bad job! If I watch his very old demos I see that his bunnies suck, but the tricks and the gameplay that he produced is just unbelievable! He made so hard tricks so smoothly and so bravely that it must be amazed everybody. And today, when he makes perfect bunnies as well, no wonder who wins all of the RotWs :)
I wish I would have only 1% of his skillz...

-Jozsef

messiahPosted - 29 September 2001 12:41 PST
Hehe! Peter Ownz!!!!! but you are almost as good as he Yo zsef! he just have more trick **** then you! You forgot two persons stubby! Ilkka and Perkele!!!!
ShamblerPosted - 29 September 2001 15:02 PST
I would have to say Shambler, for his all round coolness!

http://www.planetquake.com/teamshambler - it's Quake single player, bitches.

StubbyPosted - 29 September 2001 15:29 PST
Hmmm, Look above Jonny, I sure did mention Ilkka...

Perkele didn't do much really, he did a few legendary demos that's all.

Thomas Stubgaard

Fr3nPosted - 29 September 2001 18:01 PST
A shout out to all the "old timers" who have already been mentioned... but I prefer Jozsef because of his tendencies to run bad custom maps and sustain ass-loads of voreballs
timPosted - 29 September 2001 19:21 PST
I agree with the names already mentioned, and another reason Ilkka and Yonaton are important to speedrunning is they were at least once fine Doom speed runners too. :)
And as for Yonaton's Hell Revealed, well it just shows his abilities to perform in almost anything. (not forgetting Ilkka's cool mining complex map for quake though :) )
Lastly thanx to the legend that is will marsh for making r2m41607 and being the reason i'm here :)
HanzPosted - 30 September 2001 1:37 PST
No matter what you ppl say, Markus Taipale is still my hero :D
JozsefPosted - 30 September 2001 7:03 PST
Hehe, thanks Chris :)
I guess the others just dont know how cool maps you've made. I think it would worth adding Perssp1 and Perssp2 to SDA. Especially because I would have 3 new demos then, hahaha =)
Daniel. APosted - 1 October 2001 8:32 PST
what about me? =,(
*sob*
XeNoNPosted - 1 October 2001 14:46 PST
Am I gonna get shouted at for saying Optic? After seeing his unbelievable efforts in qd100qr and his huge lead in the sda record holders chart thing, I'd definitley respect him, even though Shamb is always bitching about him... heh
XeNoNPosted - 1 October 2001 14:55 PST
Oh, and how could I forget Nolan for his legendary Dm3_052 run? :)
RollePosted - 1 October 2001 15:09 PST
Jonny, the f-word is impossible to use..
after so many posts u still haven't realized..
slow biatch! :)
in my opinion is Mr.Donner the greatest speedrunner of all time :)
he's a legend... we got a few new coming..

keep up the good work guys :)

/Johan

leekwenPosted - 2 October 2001 19:40 PST
Being more of a spectator than a runner I wish people would trend towards making better looking demos. Namely, more like Yonatans demos. I remember watching one of his e1m5 run like 40 times a day just hypnotized by the consistency and smoothness of his mouse hand.

Nowadays it seems like everybody is into jumping around as fast as possible which looks totally silly, not to mention some people tend to look at the floor quite often.

So the most important runner reward in my book would go to Yonatan Donner. His demos have even changed the way I play Quake.

JessePosted - 3 October 2001 0:41 PST
All you new skoolers seem to forget speedrunning's roots, otherwise Anthony's name would've popped up somewhere.

Another big up should go to Gunnar for initiating competitive running on skill 0, or are you oblivious to that too? :)

JozsefPosted - 3 October 2001 0:49 PST
I think Markus's movement was the smoothest I've ever seen. That's why I bought a new mouse to get much smoother movemet, and try to make better out-looking demos. You know: 'If you can't make it good, make it looks good!' heheh :)
Topic is 3 Pages Long:    1 2 3