Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
ShamblerPosted - 28 September 2001 2:50 PST
Cast your mind back to them old sk00l days - what tricks did you learn to do first?? What did it feel like?? Where did you use those tricks?? How hard was it??

For me, I spent a long, long time on E1M1 with Impulse9 and Godmode, trying to do a forward rocket jump onto the ledge by the lift that's next to the SSG secret. I'd managed to do a backwards rocket jump with my arse against the wall pretty easily, I think I'd also managed a running backwards RJ over the slime pool. But getting it to go forwards, damn I just couldn't figure it out. Eventually I found if I really threw my shoulders and arm into slamming the mouse forward as I did the jump, I made it (soon after I increased my sensitivity a bit, heh). It didn't take long for RJs to feel pretty natural, and then I started working on the E1M3 grenade jump....and so on and so forth... I didn't start doing tricks for running at first, just for fun.

http://www.planetquake.com/teamshambler - it's Quake single player, bitches.

StubbyPosted - 28 September 2001 3:18 PST
The hardest 'trick' I've ever done was to switch from being a keyboard player, to a mouse player :)
Damn, I remember how dificult that was. I knew nothing about Quake settings, but later on I figured out that my sensitivity was skyhigh...

Apart from that, I think the very first real trick I tried, was to rocketjump over Chthon, but do I need to tell that I failed badly!.......I still do :P

timPosted - 28 September 2001 3:24 PST
yeah forward rocket jumps took getting used to, i still suck at GJs.
but i must be getting close to a bunny in r1m1 to the silver key .. :) hmm it rox when i make that jump
RollePosted - 28 September 2001 4:18 PST
Heh, talking about skyhighsensitivities.

I remeber playing with 200+ in sens :)

it took me over one year to learn bunnyhopping :)
its a very sad story..

/Johan

messiahPosted - 28 September 2001 5:05 PST
the first trick i learned was zig-zagging =) i owned ;-)
the hardest trick i ever have done is the jump over the gap in dm6 as markus did first!
NagasakiPosted - 28 September 2001 7:10 PST
I firstly tried the cornerjump to the RA/MH area in dm2. It took me days to manage it rather constantly in both directions!

First speedrun-trick I did was e1m3 gjump, I don't remember how long it took exactly, but I do remember that I thought I would NEVER get that done during those days.

[AK]NagasakeY 2001
http://www.PlanetQuake.com/Illmind/

HanzPosted - 28 September 2001 8:41 PST
I also remember practicing that e1m3 GJ for a long time. And after seeing QDQR (first speed-demo I ever saw) I tried to do the twisty GJ in e4m4 - but I didn't succeed that time..
xit_vonoPosted - 30 September 2001 11:44 PST
I don't know how to do bunny hopping. Does anyone know how to do it?
StubbyPosted - 30 September 2001 14:01 PST
You should check out the forum about bunnies, there's a link to a tutorial demo done by the bunny pioneer himself (Ilkka) :-)

Thomas Stubgaard

xit_vonoPosted - 30 September 2001 21:15 PST
can you tell me where the forum about bunnies is?
NagasakiPosted - 1 October 2001 5:44 PST
Should be "Configs, set-ups & technical tweaks" / "bunnies"

[AK]NagasakeY 2001
http://www.PlanetQuake.com/Illmind/

JozsefPosted - 3 October 2001 5:19 PST
My very first tricks were Ogre-Grenadejumps as I remember. When I started to speedrun by miself, I didn't know about bunnyhopping, I didn't even knew about SDA. I tried e1m6 ER from scratch and I used an ogre-gj to get to the golden key. My entry demo (e2m6_117) also contained ogre-gj. Ogre-GJs are pretty cool tricks in my opinion and one can use them in many places (there are lotsa bastard ogres around the quake universe, hehe :)