Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
ShamblerPosted - 27 September 2001 5:01 PST
Food for thought eh... Are there any genuinely new tricks in Quake that haven't been done yet?? I mean new as in NEW, i.e. not a combination of old tricks that have already been done, not an old trick used in a new situation.

As far as I know, the most recent new tricks that have been discovered are the use of death traps for a boost (in RDE), and sliding across the tops of monsters (in E1M7). Is that right?? There's also that weird teleport bug I found in Zer1m3 but God knows if that's repeatable from map to map...

What this boils down to is: All Quake tricks = bending physics rules (e.g. slopes, bunnies etc) and/or kickback from damage (e.g. RJs, voreballs etc). I don't think there are any more physics rules that can be bent, so that leaves damage based tricks.

All the weapon and monster tricks are pretty well known and obvious, right?? So I guess that leaves enviromental stuff... What I can think of is: Falling damage (very small but gives a tiny bit of kickback?), lava/slime damage (certainly gives a bit of kickback, is it possible to use?).

Hmmmm, also is there anything possible using water, and getting in and out of it??

Anyone think of anything else??

http://www.planetquake.com/teamshambler - it's Quake single player, bitches.

StubbyPosted - 27 September 2001 5:15 PST
Well, I've encountered quite a few times now, that it's possible to get out of water faster on some maps. It's fairly easy to use that trick on e1m4, where the secret GL is. You have to have the right angel when you try to get out from the water, and if you've calculated correct, then you just step out of the water without any pausing/jumping/whatever.

It has happened quiet a few times on e2m1 too when you get up from the red armor secret.

Could someone please explain how this trick works in theory?

JessePosted - 27 September 2001 5:21 PST
Yea, I've noticed that 'get out of the water'-bug too. It's quite easy to reproduce in epoch1m2.bsp, 'The Guardhouse'. Only IMO, the best way to do it is too look UP when you approach the surface and quickly change your view to looking forward as you emerge from the water. When done correctly, I think you can climb out in one smooth motion, without any delays.

Another trick I've thought about for quite some time, and never saw (and implemented in rd2m1 :) was the double rocketjump using a teleporter, but I think I recently noticed a (old?) demo on Naga's site with this exact same trick. But then again, this is not a genuine new trick, simply a 'double grenade jump with rockets'.

Any other new tricks, that no one has even thought of, would surprise me very much.

willPosted - 27 September 2001 6:28 PST
there are a couple which are relatively unknown, such as stopping a fall by pressing against a wall (ie the end of e1m5) and there's also the ongoing debate about how to stop at the end of windtunnels, which isn't fully understood and may yield something.
StubbyPosted - 27 September 2001 6:35 PST
Come to think of it, I've never really understood the shortcut trick you use to get to the underwater secret in e1m1 (check out Fabian's e1m1_054).

Can anyone explain how that is done? I know it requires a low fps, but there has to be more to it than that!

ShamblerPosted - 27 September 2001 6:36 PST
I know about stopping your fall by sliding down a shallow angle in a corner (the most obvious one I can think of is in DM6 to get the eyes without making a dropping sound). Is that the sort of thing you mean??

Oh yeah there's the "angle bug" too, (which I am now pretty sure I *did* use in Chessp1, as Cheshire said he didn't do anything unusual making that final room) - though that's not really a trick, just a feature of some scenery.

JessePosted - 27 September 2001 9:53 PST
What's this 'angle' trick then? (I never saw Chesssp1 nor your run of that level)
NagasakiPosted - 27 September 2001 13:43 PST
I think Peter was the first one with 'out-of-the-water', in getting 18 on e4m1? He also was the first person to successfully use the 'stuck-in-100°-corner' trick in a speedrun I think.
And this was not a long time ago...

What about discharge-boosts? I see it happen fairly too seldom. And Dmitry (yes, the cheater :P) once told me that you can go faster underwater by ~0.1 second (depending on the distance of course) by zig-zagging.

I bet there will be something more revealed in the future, we ain't at it's end yet!

[AK]NagasakeY 2001
http://www.PlanetQuake.com/Illmind/

JessePosted - 27 September 2001 14:19 PST
Speaking of going faster under water, Anthony's articles (which have always been somewhat misterious to me) mention floor-hugging and ceiling-hugging under water as possibilities for extra speed as well. I tried it a million times, even with QdQvel in a map made specifically to test the feature, but I never got any positive results. However, Anthony knows everything and is never wrong - he's the last person whose words I'd doubt :) Anyone had more luck than I did?
Matt CPosted - 27 September 2001 15:28 PST
Stubby:
"Come to think of it, I've never really understood the shortcut trick you use to get to the underwater secret in e1m1 (check out Fabian's e1m1_054).

Can anyone explain how that is done? I know it requires a low fps, but there has to be more to it than that!"

-----

I gave it a try, and it seems to be purely down to fps. My normal is around 200fps, and no matter how hard I try I can't get on the ledge. By slowing down the system to give about 15fps or setting host_framerate to give a "fast-forward" (effectivly lowering fps), the step-up becomes easy.

Matt.

ShamblerPosted - 27 September 2001 15:46 PST
Jesse: The angle bug is what happens when sometimes when you have a slope in Quake. Imagine flat ground that leads to a downward slope - run along the ground towards the slope, and sometimes you'll stop at the top of the slope for no obvious reason. Now imagine you're on a vertical wall, with a slope that goes back in to another, lower wall. As you drop down the vertical wall, you will sometimes get stopped when you reach the slope - this was what I used in my Chessp1 run, I just jumped on and off that non-existent lip. Actually, it had been shown already in various trick demos, including Ilkka messing around on the start of E1M4, amongst others.

willPosted - 27 September 2001 16:18 PST
Ingmar: as far as I can recall, I was the first to do the step-out-of-water trick, in my really old e4m1_032, though I only did it at the exit...there may well be any earlier one, but I don't rememeber.
amrikPosted - 27 September 2001 16:25 PST
I look straight up at the surface of the water and try to get the right 'bump' angle. Works for me anyway :).

- Amrik
amrikkochhar@hotmail.com

NagasakiPosted - 28 September 2001 7:07 PST
Ok, sorry Will - these must've the days when I was still wearing Quaker's napkins :P

[AK]NagasakeY 2001
http://www.PlanetQuake.com/Illmind/

messiahPosted - 29 September 2001 12:45 PST
can anyone explane HOW THA **** people can get 18 on e4m1...such as martin who get it in every marathon he makes =) i have done it oce and it took an hour almsot =)